Ready-Made Bullets for 1863 Shooting?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
taw1126

Ready-Made Bullets for 1863 Shooting?

Post by taw1126 »

I'll have to admit that I never expected to get interested in paper cartridge shooting, but the thought has now taken hold and won't let go. Do any of you shoot store-bought bullets in your 1863? I've got absolutely no interest in casting but I'm seriously considering looking for an 1863. Do regular muzzle-loading bullets work? Is one caliber of bullet easier to find than another (.50 vs .54)?

Thanks,
Trey
Shiloh 1874 Business .50
NRA Life Endowment Member
Member: RooseveltBrowning Hunt Club, Safari Club International, Winchester Arms Collectors Association
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Trey,

I've not looked for ready roll bullet for my '63 but my guess is something is out there. Slug the little rascal and hunt one down that fits.

Bob
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Trey,
Try using T.C.'s Maxiballs for muzzle loaders. My .54 carbine shot one made years ago as well as the bullet I use now. Unfortunately that exact bullet isn't made any longer and the few I've tried since were actually a bit large and didn't shoot well. Still, a box of 20 won't set you back much, and your fantasy rifle may shoot it very well indeed.
My acquaintances own both .50 and .54 rifles and carbines. I don't know that I'd recommend one over the other. So saying, go .54 since that is what I shoot.
Best, Gregg