1863 new military block pressure plate wear

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
jimr

1863 new military block pressure plate wear

Post by jimr »

i have a farmamdale 1863 new military .54 cal,ser. no .1400. the pressure plate on the drop block has a half moon etched in on the upper side of the hole that is supposed to line up with the barrel. does this realy matter much or is this common?is there a way to get this to line up better with the breach end of the barrel? i would say to achieve this the block would have to be raised slightly.
when i bought this rifle it was un-fired in new condition a few years back for $350. with the ser.no. 1400 any idea when it was born?
thanks for any help, jim
rhilliam

Gas seal

Post by rhilliam »

I don't know exactly why these sometimes don't line up, but they must. Gas hitting the face will retard or completely stop the plate from moving foward, resulting in a poor seal. Also, the plate will eventually erode away enough to break. My 7xx rifle had this problem. Shiloh was able to fix it, and the new plate is a much better material. Be prepared to wait for it, and it ain't cheap.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Jim,
My experience differs. My carbine, ser. # 1271, manufactured 1978, had for years this cresant sort of wear with no ill effects. It took excessive wear on my lever to finally cause a breech block problem. Unless you have gas escaping I would simply keep an eye on it, I believe you are OK., at least for some time.
Best, Gregg
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

as of yet i haven't noticed any gas leakage from the breach. the half moon cresant burnt into the preasure plate was caused by the plate being to low, i corrected this height problem by making a new connecting link and ended up with a nice center allingment of the plate hole and the breach. :wink: firing a couple of dozen rounds after the allingment i ckecked the plate, it had a nice perfect light stain arround the hole in the plate.so i think i'm pretty good on this end of the rifle, now i would like my front sight to be a bit taller. any help on that end?
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

jmr600,
I had what done to my carbine at Shiloh, (not knowing the problem), just what you managed to do yourself, and a complete new lever installed as well. They do exemplary repair work. You must be a machinist, I applaud your repair work as tolerences are very tight. It is a fine shooter once again. Shiloh could raise your front sight I believe. My problem with the Lawrence Ladder Sight was a non existent 200 yd. notch, I used a file to create a "V", but it it off line from my 100 yd. setting, or looks to be, as what was there was enough to start the filed notch off set. I take it then that your carbine shoots way high. Mine is dead on at 100, 6" high or so at 50 yd. That is correct if that is your problem.
Best, Gregg
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

GREGG,thanks for the reply.After studying what needed to be done the solition was simple, but it took two tries to get the exact allingment at the breach i was looking for. I have found that there are some things you can do yourself (if you have the knowledge and the equipment), and there are times you should not.
back to the front sight , is 60.grs -2FF the right charge , is a 6-o-clock hold better then a dead on hold? With 60gr. i am about 8 in. high at 50 yds. and about 6 in at 100, with 6-o-clock hold. I find with shooting with open sights a dead on hold covers to much up. :wink: JIM
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

jmr600,
Thanks for responding. By "6 o'clock" I take it we mean that the front sight is level with the notch of the rear, and the bull placed directly on top. That is what I do. No way can I use these issue sights to aim with certainty at a certain part of the black. I use 60 g. 2fg. as a matter of course, others use similar amounts of 3fg. I also use P Pyrodex with a 5 g. BP starter, the Pyrodex load being 50 g. It shoots at 100 yd. to same point of hold as my BP. Hmm, if your 6" high at 100 and can't live with that maybe Shiloh, or, a local smith, can use a dovetailed black blade a bit higher. One has to do what one has to, and sometimes authenticity may suffer.
Don't really know what to tell you there. Gregg