1863 Military Rifle Report

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Josh A.

1863 Military Rifle Report

Post by Josh A. »

Many of you know that I had been looking for an 1863 military rifle for a mule deer hunt in Colo., well I've got one now. Matter of fact, I had a carbine spotted but the guy that had it looks like he has another buyer.

Anyway, this is a Big Timber rifle, Wolf manufacture. It had a Lyman 17A front sight and a Riflesmith transition type tang. I pulled them both. The only front I had handy with a 3/8ths dovetail was a white bead monstrosity, I'll put on a copper blade shortly. The rear barrel sight is the standard Lawrence pattern.

Well, here is what it will do at 100yds.

http://www.amerinemechanical.com/huntin ... ,%20G1.JPG

http://www.amerinemechanical.com/huntin ... ,%20G2.JPG

http://www.amerinemechanical.com/huntin ... ,%20G1.JPG

The front bead completely covers the green bull on these targets, so I was using a six o'clock hold to get a decent sight picture. I was also shooting off a good bagged benchrest. The load was all blackpowder, but is not politically correct. It is also not for the faint of heart. I won't post it on an open forum but for those interested I will give it to you by email, I just won't take responsibility for anyone else's rifle.

The first group includes the first shot out of a cold clean barrel and all three groups were fired in a row. Nine shots straight. I was banging the rear sight left and right in between groups to get it hitting in the center.

I also did the o-ring conversion on my breech block pressure plate. I did mine by hand and it seems to be functioning perfectly. The one problem I am having is an occasional delay fire. The flash channel is clean, but ignition is not as consistent as a good percussion Hawken. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

I don't know about you guys, but I thought this was stunning performance out of one of these 1863's. I couldn't be happier.

Take care,

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Josh,

Looks like you've found a pretty good load. If I remember you posted earlier you are loading from the muzzle, is that correct? I read some where they did not allow a breech loader for ML season because the of the posibility to load it from the breech.

Good luck,

Bob
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Ooops!

Forgot! What I did with the hang fire was take a set of number bits. Determine what size will fit the nipple, then took one 2 numbers larger and opened the nipple. Might want to go the next size larger, try it, etc.

Bob
Josh A.

Post by Josh A. »

Bw:
These particular groups were shot by seating from the breech. I am going to start experimenting with muzzle loading and I have a modification in mind to make the rifle ML only for the excursion to Colo. I am not particularly worried about the Colo. regs. It actually states "must be loaded from the muzzle during muzzle loading season." The modification will disable the lever, so I feel pretty safe especially considering the number of hunters out there with state of the art inlines.

I drilled out the nipple hole this evening, I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks,

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Josh,

I opened my nipple up with a #55 drill bit. Got in a conversation with a Shiloh owner last night and this subject came up. He pulled his out of the safe and went through the drill bit thing and his would take a #56. Said he had never had a hang fire problem.

Hope this helps,

Bob
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Josh,
Good shooting. I would be interested in your load information, anything '63 intrigues me.
You guys and your "O" Rings, never seen a need for this, but if you need it I suppose you know it.
My carbine ignites straight Pyrodex paper cartridges well, from the talk I hear I'd better trust that the nipple lasts forever and be glad the flash channel is as it is.
Best, Gregg
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Josh A. when is your hunt in CO?? I'm going to be in CO in the near future and just might run into you!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Josh A.

Post by Josh A. »

Ken, the season is the 11-19th of Sept. I'll probably head up there a couple of days early.

I'll e-mail the load to however wants it, but I won't post it on an open forum.

Take care,

J

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Josh,
My E-Mail info should be on member list or bio.
Gregg