1863 NEW MILITARY BREACH SEALING

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
jimr

1863 NEW MILITARY BREACH SEALING

Post by jimr »

i know in theroy and design the pressure plate on the 1863 new military is supposed to move foward slightly on ignition to make a seal at the breach. my question is it better to have the plate up aganist the barrel before you pull the trigger (with the pressure of a o-ring or a neoprene spacer)? i have a kit i bought a few years back off of a fellow i believe in southern ohio that consist of a copper washer and a thick neoprene spacer that fit under the pressure plate. it is supposed to keep the breach tight. has anyone used anything like this and is it a good idea or is it best to leave that area alone because the original design works good enough. :? :? :? :?
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

jimr,

If you have a Shiloh and it is not leaking I wouldn't mess with it. They have a very good sealing system. Better than original Sharps. Don't misunderstand after X number of rounds through one it can start to leak. I have no idea how many, maybe someone with that knowledge will come forward.

Other '63's will benefit from the "O" ring seal.

Bob
Josh A.

Neoprene

Post by Josh A. »

Jim:
I have got an o-ring under the pressure plate on my 1863. It wasn't a problem before, but I did it anyway. I am shooting very heavy loads. Unless you have a real leakage problem, I don't know that I would go through too many gyrations with it.

How snug does your pressure plate fit into your breech block?

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Jim,

My Shiloh carbine has a bronze gas seal installed with an "o" ring at it's base. Works great. The gas seal is not tight in the breech block and when cleaning, it just drops out of the breech rather then needing to pry it out. It also eliminates gas cutting of the breech block.

Rich
Drain Rock

Post by Drain Rock »

Gentlemen

I feel like I missed a discussion on O-ring conversions, would one you be so kind and elaborate on the installation technique.
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Drain Rock,

I have a pdf file that gives one method. Send me an e-mail and I'll send it along. It is a 2 page file.

b1bayles@trinex.net

Bob
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

i did have a slight height alliment problem with the gas plate. i corrected this by making a new connecting link about .30 in. longer and this brought it dead center with the barrel breach. actually had to make two ,the first one took it to high. from being to low the breach gas was etching a half moon in the plate. i would like to get a new plate, are they available?
now back to the gas sealing. i'v seen a couple of different methods of putting pressure on the plate and was wondering if this was good or not. my plate fits pretty good as is but the thought is if it were up against the breach upon firing so much the better :?:
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Guys,
My off hand is done with my left trigger finger and left thumb bridging the whole gas seal system. My Farmindale carbine has had many, many, rounds put through it, and shooting as such, I've never been burnt.
Gregg