63 three band first time shooting it.

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
mrrangerman

63 three band first time shooting it.

Post by mrrangerman »

Hi everyone,

I just shot my 63 3 band today in 54cal, I used a brooks mould I bought and cast up some bullets. I used subway paper with a T-P flat base on all that I loaded. I loaded 5 with 65gn 5 with 70gn and 5 with 75gn of FF goex to get myself a good starting place. The first 5 (65gn) I shot at 25 yds to see were it would hit on paper. I shot about a 2" group at 6 oclock just under the bull. I cleaned the gun after shooting the 25 yrd string.Then I shot at 100 yrds. My first shot ( fouling shot) hit at the base of the target on the ground, so I used the 200 yrd sight setting on the next shot and that put me about a foot over my target, but at least I could go for group. Had a 2" group with 4 shots using the 70gn loads. I then cleaned the gun and shot the next 5, buy this time the light was giving way and it was getting to dark to see the bulls I had a 4" group on that string, so I'll have to try that load again with better lighting. I do have to say I LOVE THIS GUN. Thank you again shiloh for a fine peace of work.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

mrrangerman,
Very Interesting. My Shiloh carbine, a Farmingdale, prints 6" high at 50 yd., right on at 100, and my 200 yd. notch puts a group at least 2' aboyve the black at 100 yd. With any bullet and powder load combination so far. Of course group size differs. But it too will shoot 2" at 100 yd., though that is not my usual sized group there. Good cartridge info. I use a 100 % cotton tracing paper, cartridge done Terry Behm style, usually 60 g. 2fg. or 50 g. P pyrodex load with a 5 g. 3 fg. ignitor. Shiloh's "beer can" wadcutter style bullet supplied with my gun years ago. A great lube,(everybody has a favorite), has been one of Rich Siegel's. Your sights are set far differently than mine.
Good shooting and have fun!
Gregg
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Mrrangerman,
I now have some extensive practice at 200 yd. since last I responded. In shooting this distance for our informal Postal Shoot (this was open to all '63 comers), with my .54 carbine, I found that the only bullets to hit the target were ricochets. I blamed my load, bullets, etc. at first, but it was the sight.
I finally used the widest of the 300 yd. sliding bar "V's" and centered the target and front sight as low in the notch as possible. With a gift (now ordered) NEI # 383 490 NS bullet backed with 50 g. Ctg. Goex paper cartridge attached to the ring tail I was able to post a respectable score.
Now I wonder just where is my "200 yd." sight actually calibrated for.
So all in all, a similar experience as yours, using the 200 yd. sight to find 100. Interesting.
Gregg