to refurb or not......

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

LOL- I'll get right on that!
Montana Roughrider .45-70
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Woodpuppy, Dean,
I'm still waiting for a reply re: wax preservation.
Boise is dryer than Elko, 11.5" precip yearly. Best send it here.
Gregg
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Dean,
You got me beat. 9.3" yearly precip. drier than Boise. Don't think either of us gets to help in this manner.
Too bad. Gregg
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Dave,

Here in the ultra humid Gulf South of Louisiana (especially with this darned hurricane churning south of us) I have not had any rust problems by applying liberal amounts of Ballistol on my guns, inside and out. Works for me.
Lee Stone
gmartin

Museum Preservation

Post by gmartin »

Woodpuppy,
This may not be for you but... The Id. State Historical Museum uses a thin coating of a microcrystaline wax, such as the brand Renaissance Wax on metal surfaces only. The caveat is is that there must be no oils anywhere this stuff is applied, or rust. However, once done, and the firearm is not handled, it will last practically forever. The wood surfaces are waxed gently with a car wax such as a carnuba formula type. I neglected to ask how the microcrystaline wax was applied to the bore but that could be figured out.
Good luck! Gregg

Post by Guest »

to get back on track if you just clean it and oil it with any good gun oil and look after it and handle it and ck it every month or so and wipe it down with a good wood and metal conditioner it will look cared for and last a long time. clean the metal with flitz and the stock with a good wood polish then just wipe it down occasionally with Ballistol on everything
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Wood Puppy

I'm coming late into this discussion.

Yes, there are men out there who can do a bore relining job for you and leave the rest of the rifle untouched.
A friend has an original '73 Winchester he got for cheap because the bore was a sewer pipe. He had it relined and you literally cannot detect the work.
Historically, thousands of guns like yours were converted to .50-70 after the Civil War. If the bores were shot out or oversized, they were relined with a .50 calibre sleeve. If not, they were converted 'as is'.

Preserving it in it's present condition is the very least you can do by the rifle.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Scota4570

Preservatives

Post by Scota4570 »

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone have recommendations on how to stop rust and preserve a pitted bore for storage? (please don't say cosmoline :wink: )
LPS-3