Lube question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
dm3280

Lube question

Post by dm3280 »

I am starting to pay some attention to one of my other children, an 1863 Sharps rifle. Been spending way too much time with its younger sibling, 1874 Sharps. I am shooting a .54 ringtail bullet but find it a real pain to put the lube into the grooves. What method do others use to lube the bullet? I have heard of dipping the entire bullet but I find that as wasting a lot of lube.

Also, what kind of lube do you use, hard, soft, etc?
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Thompson Center sells a "PRE LUBER" in .45, .50, and .54 cal this threads onto theirNatural lbue 1000 tube and as you push the bullet through and squeeze the tube it works great. The only thing is throw away the 1000 lube and replace it with SPG, DGL, BlackMagic, etc. it is relatively easy to refill the tube.
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

dm,

I assemble my entire round of powder in paper glued to ringtail bullet and then dip the bullet only in a liquid lube. Yes, it may waste lube but lube is so cheap, who cares. I've been working on a pound of bee's wax and a can of Crisco for quite a while now.

The dip procedure is fast and easy, not needing any special tools. I just heat the lube in a plastic bowl in the microwave and dip the bullets nose first up to the paper. I have no scientific data but I can't see where the extra lube hurts accuracy.

Rich
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Dm280,
I use Rich's lube, modified slightly, and lube in his fashion. After I dip the cartridge to the paper with melted lube, I let it harden some and scrape with a dull knife the flat portion to remove excess lube and finish with a paper towel folded to wipe off more. I see they look good, as well as a sizer/luber, and will enable my bullets to leave a grease ring at 200 yd. Somewhat time consuming but so is the process of paper cartridge making, which, by the way, I enjoy to do.
Gregg