.54 Bullet suggestions

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Gary Edgington

.54 Bullet suggestions

Post by Gary Edgington »

I have two farmingdale guns, a carbine and just got a 3 band rifle. I've only used the ringtail design from Rapine. Accuracy is only so-so. Any suggestions out there as to other bullets to try? What is the powder capacity for the 3 band rifle.

Thx
Gary
HvyMtl

54 cal ?

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Gary

I have a Ped. 1859 Sharps Berdan sniper rifle which is a three band rifle, I use a Lyman mini bullet mold # 533476 up to 100yds. they shoot very accurately. I have not shot it at greater distances enough to say how accurate the bullets or the rifle could be. Hope this helps. My rifle takes 80 gr. of ff, this is the case no matter which bullet I try.

Ken
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Gary,

I use a ringtail from NEI. Now it's the #383 mould. It is the smaller of the two they have. It is very accurate in my Garrett '63. Problem with it is it does not carry enough lube and shoots best when wiped between shots. I'd be happy to send you some tryers. Just let me know.

Bob

b1bayles@trinex.net
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Gary,
I own a Farmingdale '63 carbine. Loose loaded it will hold 80 to 90 grains 2fg. powder behind my started ball. (bullet) With a paper cartridge, my preferred way now for quite some time, it depends upon the bullet, and what I have found accurate. This would vary between 50 g. 3fg. to 70 g. 2fg.
Two bullets have shot well for me. The nicest so far up to 100 yd. has been a bullet from an old mould provided by Shiloh with my carbine, the "Buffalo Slug," a bullet of true wad cutter type of 420 g. It looses its integrity much past 130 yd.
The second is Bob's NEI #383 490 NS, It shoots well at 200 yd, and may shoot better closer but I haven't used it as much as the other. I bought the mould and hope to do more testing soon.
A minie from RCBS shot well but I have to continue to experiment to tell you more. All shot in a paper cartridge.
As with Bob, I would be more than willing to send you some Buffalos to try, they shoot very well in my Shiloh. Bob had sent me some triers of the NEI, and I'm glad he did. Take us up on this.
Good luck with your two rifles, lucky you!
Gregg
Gary Edgington

Thanks guys

Post by Gary Edgington »

Thanks very much guys. I'll take you up on your very kind offer. What kind of paper do you use for your cartriges? I'm told rice paper works very well. It seems to burn very cleanly which is a big plus

Thx

Gary
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Gary,
Great! Send me your address in Private mail or E-mail or put it below. I'm casting tomorrow so I'll get some Buffalos to you as soon as I can.
I use a stiffer paper than rice paper. I highly recommend 100% cotton tracing paper called Vellum paper. For my Buffalos I use a rectangle 1 3/8" X 2 1/2"-the 1 3/8" being chamber length. Find instructions of Terry Behm's earlier in this forum, I believe it is under Cartridge Making Instructions or something similar. I use his basic design, other than paper, and that my base is 1 1/4" circular nitrated. Glued on the base of the Buffalo it is exactly chamber length and will hold 70 g. 2fg, though I usually use 60 g. with a cereal filler. I'll try to find where more info. is exactly.
Best, Gregg