Adjusting for Elevation.

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gmartin

Adjusting for Elevation.

Post by gmartin »

Hello,
I recently had a chance to shoot some new bullets, from a recently bought mould. They shot well, grouped fine at 100 yd., but printed 10" low of black always. This was NEI's # 383 backed with 60 g. ctg. Goex. My usual Shiloh Buffalo was still correct in elevation. How may one adjust for windage with issue Lawrence Military Sights when using the standard, non ladder setting? I really would prefer not to file anything if I do not have to. Farmingdale '63 carbine.
Thanks, Gregg
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Gregg, if it is printing 10 inches low with that bullet, you only have two choices, file the sight or put a tang sight on it, that is the only way it is going to get fixed. Thanks Kirk
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Thanks Kirk,
Guys I correspond with said much the same thing. Spooky stuff for all thumbs here.
Best, Gregg
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Gregg,

You are lucky the carbine is shooting low, not high. Try just flipping up the ladder sight and placing the slide on the lowest setting. That may give you the elevation you want and probably a better sight picture. I have my carbine sighted in to shoot on at 50 yards with the slide at the bottom of the ladder (with the ladder up) and I then slide the slide up to the middle of the 300 yard mark to shoot on at 100 yards. I shoot a 490 grain Rapine ringtail bullet with 50 grains of FFG GOEX.

Rich
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rich,
I found I had to shoot with the 300 yd. notch at 200 yd. attempts, and it worked well, assuming the front sight and target were centered in the bottom of the V. I will try the 200 yd. notch, if it shoots high a bit that is certainly easier to adjust for than a low impact as you mentioned. You obviously did machine work to customize your sight settings for the Rapine you shoot. I will always wonder how these sights were calibrated at the factory, everybody's seems to be a bit different. To his credit a fellow I talk with suggested the same thing.
The NEI worked perfectly by the way with a cartridge of 1 1/2" on the ring tail, OAL close to 2 1/2", with 60 g. ctg. Goex.
Thank you much, Gregg