Tang sight for 63 ?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Frank

Tang sight for 63 ?

Post by Frank »

I have a Shiloh Sharps 1863 Farmingdale .54 cal, Ser# 12XX made in 1978 and would like to know if anyone has mounted a Marbles Tang Peep Sight on this model. If so did the existing tang holes work or did you have to tap the tang.

Marbles list a # 009838 and a 009843 NEW that fit a 1874 and I assume would fit the 63 but they do not say if it fits the 1863 or if any holes would have to be tapped. MVA list a tang sight at $225.00, about twice the cost of a Marbles. I have a MVA Soule sight and they are great sights but I also have several Marbles on Winchester Low Walls and Browning High Walls and they also are good sights with windage.

In Mike Venturino's book Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West on page 238 he shows a original Marbles tang sight that was used with lever action Winchesters mounted on his Shiloh Sharps 1874 but does not say what model Winchester or if the tang had to be tapped.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
HvyMtl

Tang sight for a 63

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Frank

I just decided to put a new tang sight on three rifles, my question to the manufacturer was could I use the same sight with different bases, he said yes but needed to know the distance of the mounting holes. I measured the distance on the three rifles and they were all 2.25". One was a 45/70 Farmer. the other was a 45/70 Ped. and the last was a Ped. 1859 Sharpes Berdan sniper 54 cal. three band rifle. You should have two large screws holding the stock on and two small screws next to them. These small screws are used to mount the tang sight on most rifles.

I also today just purchased an 1863 Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps 54 cal. three band rifle, it has the little screws I mention above for mounting a tang light. The only difference between this 63 Farmer. and my Ped. 1859 Berdan is the Ped has double set triggers.

Hope this helped

Ken

Ken
Frank

Post by Frank »

HI HvyMtl

Thanks for the information. My Shiloh 74 has a Baldwin Soule tang sight mounted on it and the base mounting holes on it are 2.250". My Shiloh 63 Farmingdale only has two large screws in the top tang and both go through to the bottom tang and they are spaced 2.125" apart. There are no other screws on the top tang.

Frank
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Frank,
Not to muddy the waters, but C, Sharps sells their #10-020 /New Ideal Sporting Tang, a marble type sight that at one time interested me for my '63 carbine. It has mounting holes 2.265 center to center. I believe a sight such as what you have would would be most applicable for this action series. Hope it works out for you. I take it you finally found musket caps, your diffilculty surprised me.
Best, Gregg
Josh A.

Tang sight

Post by Josh A. »

You know, I think the MVA #131 would make a stout sight for an 1863. Its short, stout and plenty adjustable.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955