New 1863 carbine in .54

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
hogflats

New 1863 carbine in .54

Post by hogflats »

Just made a purchase of a in new condition 63 carbine in .54. It is in the process of being sent to me. This sharps has a serial number of 247. From what I have seen here it must have been made in New York. Right? I have been in the shooting sports for somewhere over 45 years, but have yet to own or shoot one of these babies. I will nodoubt be wanting to pick some of your brains about this.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Hogflats,
And I bet you got it from Gun Broker? Yahoo! You are going to have fun! It is from Farmingdale NY and with that 3 digit serial # my guess is that it was made @ 1976 perhaps. We affectionally call them "Farmers." You will find much information on correct bullets, loading, (I use a paper cartridge with the bullet intergral, thanks to the urging of folks on this site), and any other information you may desire here. Just peruse the selections below. I own a carbine .54 SN 1271 bought in 1978. Of the guns I own it is the only one I shoot. If you would like to try a bullet that came with the rifle, they did that then, supplied the mould, I'll send you some. Many are on this site with much more knowledge than I, this is just a major recreation for me.
Good for you!
Gregg
pistol fixer

farmingdale 1863

Post by pistol fixer »

you got a nice rifle.
i have a 1863 farmingdale and it is #18xx
very nice.
congrats.
rick
1863 shiloh sharps .54 cal.
1874 I.A.B. sharps 45-70
many rifles , pistols and machine guns.
Frank

Post by Frank »

gmartin

I have a Shiloh Farmer 63 carbine in .54 cal, ser # 125X purchased in 1978 at the old Simms Hardware in Sacramento, Calif. They must be blood brothers being that close.

Frank
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Frank,
Now that's interesting. I wonder if the old Shiloh has a manifest of serial #'s? Then a whole lot of us would know more about our unique lineage.
Best, Gregg
Hayden Winn

New 1863 Carbine in .54

Post by Hayden Winn »

Dear Greg,
I have s/n 896 which is a Farmingdale military rifle in .54. It has a removable sleeve insert in the rear of the chamber. I have only seen a much later model carbine and it does not have this sleeve. Is this a modification made to my rifle at some time? I think some of the Italian replicas have this sleeve?
The Farmingdale era is interesting and there is comment from time to time on markings etc.
nineteen76 had an interesting post on 26th January, 2006 on some of the Farmingdale history and rifle markings.
If anyone is interested I'll post my rifles' markings. I'm yet to see a rifle with the Wolfshead marking. But I'm in Australia and there just aren't many Shilohs around.
Cheers,
Hayden
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Hayden,
I correspond with a fellow from near Perth, he does know of Sharps well, though doesn't own a '63. After what you just told me I am more piqued than ever about these early Shiloh '63's. My #1271 has a solid chamber, no removable or movable sleeve. I was not aware that Shiloh has ever done that, maybe someone did alter that gun. I have not looked at that post but I'll check it out. Wolfgang did at one time have a local cabinet maker do the wood on several rifles. I think I heard they were of servicable fit and finish but have unusual markings. A friend's Garrett Arms '63 has a removable bouching but he had a terrible time with gas leakage. I'm interested in seeing your markings, and as well simply knowing more of Farmingdale History.
Thank you for sharing.
Gregg
HvyMtl

Markings:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hello Hayden,

Interesting subject, I had to get one of my babies out to inspect it. Serial #5046 Farmingdale Shiloh 1863 in 54 cal. rifle. No wolfs head on it and the bushing does not move at all. I also have an 1859 Ped. also in 54 cal. and also a rifle it does have the the bushing that moves but does not come out of the rifle. When I remove the block the bushing slides out but only to the back of where the block would sit.

I'm curious, does your rifle also have the removable plate on the block ?

Thanks

Ken
Hayden Winn

New 1863 Carbine in .54

Post by Hayden Winn »

Dear Greg and Ken,
The timber inletting and fit on s/n 896 is not comparable with the current production rifles. I have later Bryan Shilohs 2381B and 2392B both September 2005 production, and the work on them is superb.
None the less the Farmingdale is a lovely rifle.
The markings on it are as under. Left and right are as if the rifle is in your shoulder to fire.
Barrel
Top New Model 1863
Underneath 896
Left side 54 cal. Use back powder only
Right side Shiloh Products Inc.

Action
Left side Shiloh Products Inc.
Right side Top Farmingdale
New York
Bottom Shiloh
New Model 1863
Tang 896

All of this is in upper case.

The bushing sleeve fitted to the chamber of my barrel is completely removable with the breech block removed from the action. There is a small tool with the rifle to remove the sleeve if it becomes tight from fouling.
The breech block does have a removable plate on the front of it. This comes off to facilitate cleaning. This plate can be a problem in that fouling can build up behind it forcing the plate forward and making the breech block hard to open. Greasing well behind the plate and excluding air from loads as much as possible reduces the fouling and reduces this problem.
I have two later Farmingdales
45/70 Montana Roughrider s/n 2690
45/110 LRE s/n 4635
I'd be happy to post their markings if of interest. And I am keen to find out their approximate manufacture dates if anyone can guesstimate this for me from their experience.
I think s/n 896 must be 1976 or 1977?
Cheers
Hayden
Drain Rock

Post by Drain Rock »

Gentlemen

Leaning against my drafting table is an early Farmingdale Shiloh 1863 in rifle 54 cal. Serial #60X in great shape. There is a wolf head stamped on the right side of the barrel on a flat above the forearm just ahead of the breach. The stock wood looks like a furniture manufacture and not a gunsmith did the deed, serviceable but not a work of art. My 45 cal. Farmer resides in the safe, I’ll have to check it for the wolf head stamp.
HvyMtl

Markings:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hayden,

Let me know if you received my e-mail.

Drainrock, I checked my Farmer. Shiloh 45/70 and no wolf head stamp, but it sure does shoot accurate.

Ken
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Hayden,
Thank you very much! Mine has no wolfs head. Superb walnut though, and over time it seems to have darkened (my imagination?) and people at a public range have mistaken it for an original by the wood. Solid bouching, of course the gas plate. We need a book on these I think as I suggested in another post. Drain Rock's rifle has additional interesting uniqueness. By the way, as Ken knows if I could afford more rifles they would be the guises of the '59-63 replicas, and probaly nothing else. Glad you have what you do.
Gregg
Drain Rock

Post by Drain Rock »

Gentlemen;

I checked on the 45 cal. early Farmingdale Shiloh 1863, Serial #70X, double set triggers, same Wolf’s head on the right side of the barrel facing to the rear. Also in great shape, externally; but at some time in it’s life some A-hole neglected the bore, now it’s rough to the point of needing to be relined.
Boston Bill

Re: New 1863 carbine in .54

Post by Boston Bill »

My '63 is #4xx and like the rest of you the wood looks ok. The grain is not filled but but I love shooting it. Working up loads now to figure out accuracy. I think it is on its way to being a tack driver, time will tell. Has the Wolf mark on it also. The metal is just great on it, couldn't be happier.
Happy Shooting!!! :D
DocHoliday

Re: New 1863 carbine in .54

Post by DocHoliday »

I ordered my then new 63' 54 caliber carbine from Shiloh Sharps Products in 1982 thru my local gun dealer. The Serial Number on the carbine is 17x2. I had heard that all rifles started with a 200 Serial Number. However I'm not sure. I am trying to contact Len Mule for more information.