Balls and Powder

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
hogflats

Balls and Powder

Post by hogflats »

Anyone have any experience with shooting Triple 7 in FFG? Plus .54 T/C Maxi Hunter prelubed bullets? Thought I would try it out in my 63 carbine. Hogflats NEVER FAIL TO SHOOT, NEVER WAISTE A SHOT
HvyMtl

Triple 7

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi hogflats

I tried Triple 7 in my Ped. 59 and it didn't like it at all. That being said there is only one way to find out how it will shoot out of your rifle. My 59 Ped. likes Clean Shot, like I said I have tried Seven and BP but the gun shoots much better with the Clean Shot, by the way don't forget to use less Triple Seven than you would BP, Like 15% less.

Ken
KHR

Post by KHR »

I've used triple7 in cartidges, 40/70ss 45/60win, didnot like it at all. It is really hot, too hot for the antiques I'm shooting. Besides it was less accurate than bp.
:D
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
hogflats

Post by hogflats »

Thanks.I reurned that triple 7 to the local walmart. Will maybe try cleanshot, Or maybe American Pioneer, or stick to BP. Plus I ordered some 425 gr. rapine bullets from Dixie. That ought to work huh. Hogflats
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Hi Hogflats,
I have just used BP and Pyrodex, both rs and p in my .54 carbine. I HAVE use TC's maxi balls in .544 @1978, then they had 2 grease grooves if I remember correctly and shot to the same POA as my Buffalo Slugs from Shiloh. Also managed to down a big Black Bear with a TC maxi.
Best, Gregg