Chamber lengths

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rich Siegel

Chamber lengths

Post by Rich Siegel »

I have a Shiloh 63 carbine that I've shot for the past four years. My standard load is a 490 grain Rapine Christmas tree ringtail bullet and 50 grains of Goex FFG powder in a paper cartridge. This load just fits nicely into the chamber of my carbine, the rear of the cartridge just inside the barrel when the breech is closed. I've also owned a Shiloh 63 military rifle that had a significantly larger chamber. One that whuld hold the same bullet and 70 grains of powder. I always figured that the difference in chamber lengths was due to the rifle vs the carbine.

Two weeks ago at a skirmish, my team mate showed me a new load he was using in his Shiloh carbine. It was a trash can type (wad cutter) bullet with a paper cartridge holding 50 grains of FFG. His carbine shot very well with the load. I asked to try one round in my carbine and realized that there was no way my carbine's chamber would hold the bullet and paper cartridge. His chamber was at least 1/4" longer then my carbine.

I believe his carbine was an early one made in Montana while my carbine was made around 1990. It seems that chamber lengths have varied over years for the Shiloh 1863 guns. No big deal but something to remember when we all talk bullets and loads here on the board.

Rich
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rich,
You are probably quite correct regarding chamber length. For anyone interested, my Farmingdale @1978 has a chamber length of 1 3/8" it seems. My Buffalo (trash can) will with a paper cartridge flush with the chamber will hold 70 g. 2 or 3 fg. My NEI # 383 ring tail of 494 g. with the cartridge on the ring tail and the papre 1 1/2 " rather than the 1 3/8" for the Buffalo, will hold 63 g. nominally. With a bullet lightly started (a trash can style) it will easily hold 80 to 90 g. minus a cartridge.
Interesting stuff. I know others who own sporters whose chambers will hold over 100 g. 2fg.
Best, Gregg
SHARPS54

Post by SHARPS54 »

Rich,
Me and a fellow skirmisher both shoot Shilohs ( Farmers ) We both use the same style bullet same powder charge ( 45 grs 3 f 18 grs of C.o.w.) The cartridges are the same length but mine will fit in his but his wont fit in mine. This is due to bullet diameter. Mine is sized to .544 and his is .547. Maybe this could be the problem. Just something to think about.

Shoot Straight and often.
Rick
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Rick,

That's a good possibility, the trash can bullets might be hitting my rifling before my Rapine Christmas tree bullets and thus, causing a shorter chamber. I've stopped sizing my bullets as I found that they shoot better oversized. I use to size to .546 but now shoot as cast, about .549.

Rich
SHARPS54

Post by SHARPS54 »

Rich.
You mentioned that you are a shirmisher. What team do you shoot with and will you be at the Spring Nationals? I shoot with the 12TH Pa, maybe we could meet and compare Sharps notes!
Rick
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Sharps 54,

I'm with Sherman's Bodyguard. Located on Confederate Rd, along the river behind the pistol range, going north. Great idea, let's get together.

Rich