1863 Target Rifle ????

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Ionian

1863 Target Rifle ????

Post by Ionian »

I don't intend to hurt anyones feelings, but the subject of using the 1863 as a long range target rifle has come up in the past and most agree that the rifle is not meant to be. The reasons are obvious. The firearm is a military rifle with a huge hole in its pipe. The caliber and twist rate of the rifeling just don't cut it for long range shooting. But, what if?
What if someone used a .45 caliber pipe with a fast twist rate. I think the rifle should be able to keep up with its big brother the "74" at least out to 500 meters!
I know there are those that say leave the thing alone and use it as it was intended, and I am one of them! But, what if? What are your opinions?
I don't think I will ever own one, I am a carpenter with a growing family and they come first, but if I had the money to spare, I would do it. I want to see that cannon shine. I love the 1863. Maybe some day.
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Ionian,

I have an 1863 sporting rifle and if I can get a bullet mould made I'm gonna give what you suggest a try. Only the lack of money is holding me back. Also a 28" tube and 60 grains max. chamber. I think it will lob a bullet at least 500 meters reasonably accurate. We shall see..........maybe.

Bob
Ionian

Post by Ionian »

Bob, is your 1863 chambered in .45 cal.? I think it would take a .45 with a fast twist rate to be able to shoot at 500 meters and beyond. It may be a little dificult to load, but I really don't see any problems with this setup working. Let us know how your rifle does when you get it ready. Anyone else?
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Ionian,

No it is .54 cal with a 1 in 48 twist. I think that if I can get a bullet made and work with it some it will fly 500 meters. I don't expect the accuracy of a .45 but I think it will be acceptable. I got into silhouette less than a year ago and believe it or not it is eating up all my shooting money.

Bob