Combustible paper cartridge info needed

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Fortitudine

Combustible paper cartridge info needed

Post by Fortitudine »

Back in June of '04, Terry put a link to an article that he wrote on making combustible paper cartridges for 1863 Sharps'.
The link is no longer accessible - I was wondering if anyone could re-post it for me.

Thanks in advance!!

Steve G.
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

I'd like to know about that one myself. I think I'd like to get a '63 someday.
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

I'd like to know about that one myself. I think I'd like to get a '63 someday.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Hi guys,

I could give you advice on cartridges but what I know has come largely through the site you are looking for. In this forum find "Cartridge Making Instructions" by Terry Behm on page two at I believe on April 24, 2004.

You can down load those excellent instructions. I tweeked his design to suit me somewhat, different paper, etc., but he has done a thorough job.

Best, Gregg
El Paso Pete

Post by El Paso Pete »

The good Sgt. John Chapman got a good post on this over on the Frontier Spot http://www.frontierspot.org/viewtopic.php?t=26413

There is even a link to a feller on Ebay sellin the salt peter.

The good Sgt. is talkin about makin 'em for pistols but I would think you do about the same thing for a Sharps.
Mules, Whiskey, Diamonds, Nails, Gold Mines, Fly Swatters, Barbed Wire, Oil Wells, Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprisins Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

El Paso Pete,

The good sgt. knows his stuff. I thought I was fastidious with my Sharps paper cartridges. Good stuff.

My ctg. for the carbine are flat based, flush with the chamber, and only the base is nitrated. Found that leaves less fouling. I think though that with my Remington 58 I'll stick with a flask and round balls. But, his system leaves nothing unsaid, and lots to consider.

Thanks.

Gregg
terry

Post by terry »

Hi guys, I just checked and the site I had the cartridge making instructions on has gone under. If anyone wants a copy of the instructions you can e-mail me terrybehm@cs.com
and I'll send a copy, it's in PDF format and about 500k.

I also checked the sarge's instructions and he does a pretty good job with the pistol cartridges. BUT, I think I make a better cartridge. :lol: :lol:
I've shot thousands of them in my revolvers.

Terry Behm :D
Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine »

Terry - Much thanks for e-mailing me the helpful information on the process of making combustible cartridges!!!
Best regards - Steve
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Fortitudine,
Glad you got Terry's instructions. May I make a suggestion or 2? I found, as Terry suggested, that un-nitred paper leaves the least crud. I now use 100% cotton tracing paper made by Vellum called Vellux brand. And I use a 1 1/2 " Circular nirated Sub Way Paper glued for the base. I use his method and adapt it to ring tails as well as 2 other bullets on their base band as well. I feel awkward giving advice at times with more knowledgeable folks reading this, and some who have aided me, being able to help more. But this is what I do for my cartridges.
Best, Gregg