Approximately what is the gun's value

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Royal

Approximately what is the gun's value

Post by Royal »

I have a '63 Farmington in .50 cal that I rarely shoot, mainly because it is a chore to get it really clean and I have a couple of 1874's that take up most of my time. I am seriously thinking of selling the '63 musket. It is in extremely good condition, has leather sling, but no box. I have no idea what one should bring since I have never seen another for sale around here. Would anyone care to give me some suggestions of what to ask or what they are selling for?
Thanks.
Shiloh 45-120; Long Range express, .45-70 "Old Reliable" carbine, .50 1863 3 band musket.---- If you really love something set it free; if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it.
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Royal,
There is a Farmingdale 1863 3-Band military Musket on AuctionArms right now. Starting bid is $1125.00 with no reserve. It is advertised as a 98% rifle with a tang sight. Not sure but I do not beleive the Farmingdales were drilled and tapped for the tang sight (so not all original?). I would watch it to see what it brings and go from there.
Good luck,
Chris

PS. I beleive there were fewer 50 calibers made than the 54's, so keep that in mind .
Royal

Post by Royal »

[quote="nineteen76"]Royal,
There is a Farmingdale 1863 3-Band military Musket on AuctionArms right now. Starting bid is $1125.00 with no reserve. It is advertised as a 98% rifle with a tang sight. Not sure but I do not beleive the Farmingdales were drilled and tapped for the tang sight (so not all original?). I would watch it to see what it brings and go from there.
Good luck,
Chris

PS. I beleive there were fewer 50 calibers made than the 54's, so keep that in mind .[/quote]

Chris:
Thanks. What is the AuctionArms web site? .......Royal
Shiloh 45-120; Long Range express, .45-70 "Old Reliable" carbine, .50 1863 3 band musket.---- If you really love something set it free; if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Royal,
Ah, I enjoy cleaning the things, believe me. Wish I could afford it, my dream is a 3 bander to accompany my carbine and Mr. Birch has a .50 that is a tack driver.
I best not tell you what I believe a fair price. In all seriousness you could do well to stick with the price quoted above.
Gregg
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

Does anyone know if Royals rifle can "easily" be converted to 50-70? Is the bore size compairable?
Leatherstocking
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
HvyMtl

covert to 50/70

Post by HvyMtl »

Leatherstocking

I do not see why it can't be converted however I don't know how good a shooter it would be due to the 1 in 48 twist barrel and would it end up being worth the convertion after all is said and done.

Ken
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

Heavy..thanks for that...I hadn't considered rate of twist!
Leatherstocking
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Royal,
Web address is www.auctionarms.com. Auction #6538246. Put this number in the box "What are you looking for" and hit search.
Chris
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Royal,
Web address is www.auctionarms.com. Auction #6538246. Put this number in the box "What are you looking for" and hit search.
Chris
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Felows,
A conversion can be done, I forget who told me that, I believe, Pedersoli or Garrett, offered such a kit to he. It was Ped., ask them. The twist? SO WHAT? It will shoot fine to the ranges that are reasonable, come on.
Gregg
Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine »

Generally, the .50 cal is not as desirable in the military style Sharps, as .54 is the perceived caliber of the originals.
The rear tang sight on the one in the above mentioned auction is also not correct relative to original military issue Sharps Rifles.
Regardless, they are nice rifles.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Fortitudine,
Respectfully, the military Sharps, esp. in the '59 series, were offerred in calibers of .50, .52, .54 and .56, with rifle barrels of 30" to 36". Things became more standardized in the '63. My knowledge largely comes from Sellers.
Gregg
Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine »

Gregg, I apologize for not being clear. In reference to only the New Model 1863 Military Rifles, the standard caliber is .52; however it is "perceived" by many, or incorrectly referred to, as a .54 caliber weapon...probably because of the measured bullet size...I don't know.
The standard barrel length for this model was 30 inches, although it is documented that approx. 600 of the 36 inch barrel models were produced as well, but I'm confident that these longer barrel rifles were Model 1859 units. I am not aware of any other other barrel lengths produced. It has also been published that a limited number of Model 1859's were produced in .58 caliber as well..primarily issued for Naval use. I am not aware of any other calibers of percussion models 1859 or 1863 being produced. The issue of bore diameters seems to escalate when, after the Civil War, many of these weapons were converted to non-percussion versions.
Best regards - Steve
Royal

Post by Royal »

I didn't mean to stir up such a can of worms when I asked if anyone wanted to hazzard a value on my 1863 .50 cal 3 band musket. Thanks to all who gave me information. I will assume that a current value would be somewhere in the range of $1150 to $1200. The one on Auctionarms is about to close and the price is in that range unless there is a late bid. Thanks.
HvyMtl

1859 Sharps

Post by HvyMtl »

I do believe the barrel length was 36" but I also think some had tang sights, which would only make sense for long range shots.

Royal, your not opening a can of worms we just find it interesting to discuss. I do know that Gregg has done a lot of research on the subject. I also understand they were mostly in 52 cal. but I think that varied some what.

Ken