Blackpowder Fouling

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
klw

Blackpowder Fouling

Post by klw »

I've owned a couple of the Pedersoli equivalents. Five shots and they froze up. There are all sorts of ways to try to prevent that. Cutting the chamber in half and inserting an o-ring. Nickel plating the action. Brass cases. How well any of these work I don't know.

What I'd like to know is with a Shiloh how many shots can you get off before fouling starts to freeze up the gun?
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

klw,

If you keep the breech block well greased, I find I can get 13 to 15 rounds off before I wipe the face of the breech with a damp cloth. See my post under the brass cartridge topic.

I now shoot a Shiloh carbine with the "O" ring modification but I haven't found it works any better then the Shiloh, unmodified method except when it comes to cleaning. With the modification, the gas shield and "O" ring just fall right out of the breech block, no need to pry the gas shield from the block.

Rich
HvyMtl

Fouling

Post by HvyMtl »

klw,

I have both, one is a Ped. 1859 54 cal. and a Shiloh 1863 54 cal. I only just bought the Shiloh so I can't really speak about it yet but the Ped. I have owned and shot quite a lot. I have tried several different BP in it and have found that it likes Clean Shot for the fouling and the accuracy. I have been able to shoot up to 10 shots without any cleaning of the barrel and have maintaned very good accuracy. The Ped. doesn't seem to like Black at all it fouls up the block in no time and its not that accurate with it.

Hope this helps

Ken