the maximum range of '63 sharps

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
rollo wilkinson

the maximum range of '63 sharps

Post by rollo wilkinson »

i was thinking of getting a sharps and i wanted to know what the furthest shot ,which had been made by a '63,was.thanks :)
HvyMtl

Furthest shot ?

Post by HvyMtl »

Well it was reported way back when that for a demonstration for President Lincoln, Colonal Berdan used what has come to be known as a Sharps Berdan sniper rifle ( 3 bander ) to make a shot at 600 yds. and the reporter jokingly asked if he was aiming for the head, when they brought the target back so the Prez. could look at it, it did have a hole in the head. The question is do you believe everthing you read or not ?

There is a group of us who believe that these rifles could be capable of shooting a pretty far distance, 600 yds. accurately ? well maybe. We try to remain realistic and have a match up to 200 yds. and the rifles are a lot of fun to shoot.

Hope this helped

Ken
rollo wilkinson

thanks.that was really useful.and another question.were percussion sharps much used for buffulo hunting?

rollo :D :D
bwbayless

'63 on Buff

Post by bwbayless »

Rollo,

Best guess, yes. The percussion Sharps is quite capable of taking buff. I doubt seriously that it was used by the hide hunters to any degree. Just to slow to load for and more difficult to clean.

Bob
rollo wilkinson

thanks bob. its really helped my decision to choose whether to get a '63 or '74 sharps. i think i will get a '74 sharps and a few years later i may get a '63 sharps to feel the feeling of firing an ORIGINAL model sharps(patented in 1848)
rollo
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Rollo,

I've probably shot more rounds through my '63 (military carbine in 54 cal) then my '74s (50/70, 40/65 and 30/40) but I do think that the 74s will give better accuracy. That said, my '63 is almost as fast to load, takes longer to clean but no brass to clean. It does take longer to make the paper cartridges but it's a lot cheaper then buying brass at $2.00 a piece.

The '74s are really easier to get shooting, especially in 45/70, 38/55 or 30/40, where you can use factory ammunition and easily obtainable brass and bullets. For the '63, most of us cast the bullets and make paper cartridges. More mess, more work but maybe, more fun.

Rich