ready made cartridges

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
1stregtengr

cardboard tubes

Post by 1stregtengr »

Charlie Hahn, a few posts above sells the cardboard tubes and they work great. This weekend I shot the 200 yd long range shoot ay N-SSA with my three band .54 shiloh. It will do around 2 1/2" groups at 200 yds prone with Charlies tubes, a raphine ringtail, 64 gr swiss 3f and a CCI cap. The tubes are 1.5" long and I asked him if he can make them 1.875 which will fill my chamber, and I believe with some puff lon filler will increase accuracy..
Todd Birch

Huh?

Post by Todd Birch »

BoomStick

I just viewed the video on the plastic loading tubes for the '63. I have to agree with you.
There is something about using a space age polymer loading tube in such a rifle that doesn't make sense to me. Part of the charm of shooting a Civil War era rifle is doing it the way it was shot originally. That means paper cartridges.

Having said that, I will confess to rolling bullets with a .54/60 gr. Pyrodex pellet when I want to make up a batch of authentic looking rounds in a hurry. No powder spillage and 100% uniformity.

My justification for this is the fact that there were such rounds in the era made up with a compressed pellet of BP. However, I do get better accuracy beyond 100 yds with BP.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"