Power of '63 .54 cal....

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Joe Burr

Power of '63 .54 cal....

Post by Joe Burr »

I am looking at a '63 rifle in .54 cal for hunting....generally for deer, moose, black bear etc. What kind of muzzle energy does the .54 produce? What could it be compared to, energy wise , in a modern smokeless round? Thanks a bunch! :D
HvyMtl

54 cal. Sharps

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Joe,

I can't help you with all the info. but I do know the rifle will kill all of the game you mention. I have two 54 cal. paper cartridge rifles one is a Ped. and the other is a 63 Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps which is a new addition, they unfortunately have different bore sizes so I can't use the same bullet for each. The original Sharps were used for hunting big game prior to the invention of a bullet with a shelled case ex: 50/70,45/70 etc. My rifles are very accurate out to 100-150 yds., and we have a shoot that a few of us compete againts each other out to 200 yds. We know each other from this web site and everyone seems to be getting better at shooting long distance. One of the guys does hunt with a Sharps 50/70 as I am sure those are also very good for hunting.

I have used the Ped. for hunting deer once so far, the doe dropped and then jumped up and went about twenty to twenty five yards and dropped for the count. I used a 430 gr. Lyman mini with about 80 gr. of powder. Bullet went right through leaving a good blood trail, not that I needed it to find her.

Hope this helps

Ken