'63 used on the Herds???

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Joe Burr

'63 used on the Herds???

Post by Joe Burr »

I am curious if any of you history buffs (no pun intended :lol: ) know if the '63 percussion model saw much use in the early days of the professional hide hunters. Is there any documented use for professional buffalo hunters?

Many Thanks.
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

hello...anyone home?? tough crowd!!! :shock:
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Hey Joe,

Documentation is the problem. Haven't seen any on hide hunters using the '63. According to Sellers only a hand full of sporting models were made. I feel sure a large number were taken with the carbines but doubtful that the professional hunters used them. Just my opinion and not worth much.

Bob
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Hi

Problem with the 63 s is that a lot(military rifles and carbines )were converted to 5o/70 cartridge and if were used on Buff it would be in that
metal cartridge version.Though I would bet that there were a few 53 slant breech sporting rifles used on Buffalo but that would be before the real hide hunting took place as that started after the civil war.
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

I'm no expert, just guessing, but if someone got out west with a '63 and found a convienient herd- why wouldn't they have taken a shot? Weren't the old 63's .52 caliber?, might not be as good as some of the later cartridge rifles but surely could do the job.