Hunting with a 63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Drain Rock

Hunting with a 63

Post by Drain Rock »

Messrs. T. Brich, G. Martin and R. Siegel;

Gentlemen, (and I use that term with discretion)

I know from your writings on this fair site that all you fine fellows hunt with Sharp 63s and have a tail or two to tell. I am look for your learned opinions on the subject of Sharp 63s. I just acquired a 54 cal. Farmingdale 63 military musket in great shape, possible first year of production, and paid a fair price for it.

Naturally, I want to hunt with it, quarry including elk, mules and possible black bear. In your opinion, what are the good points and/or intrinsic limitations using this type of rifle regarding say practical range(s), bullet types and hunting sights.

The hunting part I know, it is the weapon and its use as a hunting tool I hope to learn about. For a little background, I grew up ignorant and bare foot in the Deep South, hunting Florida and Alabama river swamps with an old single shot shotgun and a wired together 22. By the time I migrated west, I had learned that if I get close enough I could bag anything from hogs to gators and every thing in between with one well placed shot.

Thanks in advance.

Harold
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Harold,

The '63 Shiloh military rifle I owned would hold 65 grains of FFG powder in a paper cartridge glued onto a 490 grain ringtail bullet. Your looking at about the same realistic cartridge power as a 50/70 which can handle any game in North America. As to hunting distances, unless you are very good at estimating distance and know exactly where your rifle shoots at various distances, I would restrict my shots to 125 yards or 150 yards at most. As to sights, unless the rifle is drilled for a tang sight already, I would not alter the gun by installing a tang sight. Use the Lawrence style rear sight, it's good for those short ranges.

Just my opinion though.

Rich
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Drain Rock,

T. Birch is in the midst of a move & G. Martin is in the midst of being a grandfather for the first time. May be a while before they answer but sooner or later.......................

Bob
Drain Rock

Post by Drain Rock »

Bwbayless,

Thanks for the update on T. Birch & G. Martin; it’s summer time which means communication is typically slow for a myriad of reasons. I was suppressed that Rick got back to me so soon. In retrospect, I should have included your name in my list of known experienced Sharp 63 hunters, forgive my short sightedness. Your input on the hunting with the 63s would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Siegel, thank you for opinions on 63s and hunting with them. I had hoped the energy level would be similar to the 50-70, it’s good to have my speculation confirmed by a guy that shoots both. This Farmingdale is not drilled for a tang sight, so I’ll have to experiment with the long range staff sight, it does have elevation marks and I can easily add a few as required. Although, I may change the fine military barrel sight for a faster sporting buck horn type.

I’ve been in your neck of the woods, dense northeastern forests, expect for the farm fields, relatively short range shooting. I have a brother who lived in Lisbon Falls for many years, Navy, now he’s in Oak Harbor, Wa. Similar country, different coast; both locations have great seafood.

I’ve got Colorado tags for both elk and mule deer this year. The 63 will work in the dark timber and with some experimenting, hopefully I’ll be able to stretch the range a bit for hillside and cross canon shots. Missed out on hunting these past two years, couldn’t get away from work. I’m getting prepared for the fall hunt, planning, packing, exercising and shooting. I don’t have to many more seasons left in this body and want to make the most of it.

I’ll keep you informed about my progress with the Farmingdale 63.

Thanks
Harold
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Harold,

You're right about thick woods here in Maine. We do have some open shooting across timber clear cuts but most game stay in trails 15 yards inside the woods.

I live 3 miles from Lisbon Falls.

Good luck on the hunt.

Rich
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Hey Harold,

I can't add a thing to what Rich told you. Just load it up, get used to it and have fun. For me it is a most enjoyable rifle to shoot.

Bob
HvyMtl

Maine:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Drain Rock, good luck hunting with the 1863. If I were you I would have no hesitation hunting anything with that rifle.

Hey Rich, I just got back from Peru, Maine. My friend just bought a nice little mountian over there he kind of fell into it and we went up to scout it out. Nice area of the country, very different hunting than from here in Jersey. We got a real kick out of seeing the size of moose tracks and I was really surprized at how steep of a hill they will climb. He also has wolves, black bear ( 450 -500 lbs. ) coyote, and mountian lion. The last being one with two or three cubs, we don't know if the locals were pulling our leg or not but we did see some very odd tracks that we couldn't figure out what they were. I was going to e-mail you but didn't get the chance prior to leaving for the trip.

Ken
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Hi Ken,

Peru, Me. is about 1 1/2 hours north of me. Nice area. Starting to get into the real woods area of Maine. I have heard that there are mountain lions about 50 miles to the north east of Peru but Fish & Game refuses to believe it. They say people have just seen big bobcats.(?)

I use to live in Rivervale and Englewood, NJ. Left about 33 years ago and moved around the northeast. Now retired to Maine.

Take care,

Rich
HvyMtl

Maine:

Post by HvyMtl »

Rich,

I'm guessing but I think you left Jersey and never looked back :lol:

We saw some pretty big tracks and then one of the locals came by to introduce himself and told us he has tried tracking the the cat but keeps losing it in the woods when it gets thick. He said he knows for sure its a mountian lion and that it has at least two and maybe three cubs. Prior to knowing this we spent the night up on the mountian but only heard coyotes. I spent most of the time scouting the area for my buddy because he had to keep an eye on the contractor friends he brought up with him to work on the house, they have a drinking problem. During my scouting I was surprized that I didn't kick anything up but I did have to spray myself down pretty good with the bug spray and even though it was a scentless the animals could probably smell it. We know for sure he has plenty of deer and black bear, we saw more moose tracks than anything else. I was amazed at the steep inclines the moose would walk on, almost too steep for us to climb, we know nothing about hunting moose other than in order to do it its a lottery type set up for the license.

I can't remember if you hunt or not but if so what have you been successfull with and what did you use ?

Ken
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Ken,

I'm the worst big game hunter in the world. My black Lab and I like to chase the birds around though(pheasants and grouse). When I harass the deer and bear, I use my Shiloh '74 military carbine in 30/40 for walking the woods or my Saddle rifle in 50/70 for sitting.

Rich