two questions

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
wrcook

two questions

Post by wrcook »

I am new to shooting the Sharps percussion. I ahev been shooting blackpowder for over 30 years and have had an original Sharps for years (I never shot it because the bore was too nasty). I now have a repro. My first questionis: Since there is a small chamber in the breech block, how can you have a "slightly compressed" powder charge, does'nt that leave a space? I know the Sharps works and have never heard of a problem from that. Just curious about this.

Second question. I have fired a few of the brass cases in my rifle ( until one stuck in the breech block recess) I was firing a light load and a round ball, my accuracy was great. Has anyone fired round ball and light loads in their Sharps?

Thanks
Bill
Bill Cook
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Bill,

You are correct that there can not be any compression on the powder in the '63. That does not seem to be a detriment or cause a problem. I have fired many rounds through my '63 with out incident.

I have no first hand knowledge about the brass cases or round balls. I have used neither.

Bob
HvyMtl

Two questions:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Bill,

You are correct there is no compression in a paper cartridge rifle. You didn't mention which brand rifle you have, some of them vary a little in design. Most of us use conical bullets but I would be interested in knowing how good your accuracy was with round ball bullets ? I have those brass cartridges but they don't fit the Shiloh or the Ped. so I have never tried them.

What part of Maine are you from ? I just got back from a friends new place in Peru, its a beautifull place. First time back in Maine since 1977.

Ken
wrcook

Post by wrcook »

Thanks for the info.

I have an IAB Sharps. I think that the brass cases were designed for that one. I have used round ball with those, because I could not find a proper mould. The few that I shot were very accurate, but the brass cases tend to move back into the breech recess, and make it difficult to open the action. For a conical I have a Dixie Merrill mould, that was the closest to bore diameter. I have not really had a chance to shoot them much, so I can't comment on the accuracy yet.

Bill
Bill Cook
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Bill,

I would be extremely interested in your take on the IAB ’63. All I have heard has been bad.

Bob
wrcook

Post by wrcook »

So far It is not a bad rifle, It has been reliable, and quite accurate. My only problem has been with those brass cases. It was really never designed to use them. I have got to shoot some paper cartridges to really get a sense of its performance. The fit, finish and overall quality are fine, though not as nice as the Shiloh, but you get what you pay for.
Bill Cook
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Bill,

Don't sound to bad. I have a Garrett that had some breech leakage. Took some doing but got it sealed up.

Bob
HvyMtl

Get what you pay for:

Post by HvyMtl »

WRCOOK, Hi Bill,

I have one 1859 Ped. in 54 cal. and one 1863 Shiloh in 54 cal. both are paper cartridge rifles. If it wasn't for the lighter color of the wood on the Ped. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I can' really compare the performance of them because I don't have the right size bullet for the Shiloh as yet but the Ped. is very accurate out to 125 yds. and my hunting rifle of choice.

Ken