Sharps 1863 .50 Bullets

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
SAColt45

Sharps 1863 .50 Bullets

Post by SAColt45 »

I just purchased a Shiloh 1863 in 50 caliber. I have a 54 also and I have no problems finding cast bullets for that. I do not cast so I was wondering if someone can send me in the right direction to find some 50 caliber cast bullets for my 50.
Todd Birch

.50 Percussion Bullet

Post by Todd Birch »

SAColt45

I have a Shiloh Military Rifle in .50 and I love it! Particularly since I own a .50-70 Shiloh Military as well.
I think the percussion model shoots better, but that could be a factor of load development.
I'm using the Lyman 515141 sized ???? I've just moved and I haven't got access to my loading data. I started out shooting Lee's .50 bullet pan lubed and unsized. No problem as it shot well.
I regard it as 200 yard gun max.

I got a large (425 lb) spring bear with the .50-70 this April and feel that the percussion would have done just as well.

I like to roll cartridges with the 60 gr .54 cal. Pyrodex pellet. Looks authentic and shoots well. The fouling is very dry and becomes a problem after a bit.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
SAColt45

50 cal Bullet

Post by SAColt45 »

Thanks Todd

I will try the bullet you suggested, found a maker how can supply it. My have to try casting my own. I owned a Shiloh 50/70 once, let a friend talk me into a trade. Might be a good excuse to get another seeing Im using the same bullet. Thanks again
Todd Birch

.50 Sharps percussion

Post by Todd Birch »

SAColt45

I remembered that I sized my bullets .512 from the .515 as cast. SPG, of course.

The mavens on this site will tell you NOT to buy a Lyman mould of any calibre, but invest in a custon mould from one of the top makers. I'm getting the results I want so I'm happy.
Could be the rate of twist will stabilize a longer, heavier bullet, but I can live without knowing - for now, any way.

I have also used the Pyro pellets in .50-70 brass for a quickie plinking load and they work just fine. .45 and .50 calibre pellets work well in my .45-70s as well - BUT, it's nay oatmeal! BP is where it's at when shooting old time rifles.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"