1863 resale value? opinions needed.

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Randy M.

1863 resale value? opinions needed.

Post by Randy M. »

Hello,

I have a 1863 carbine, .54 cal., with saddle ring and steel buttplate. Manufactured in N.Y., serial no. 12XX (if that maters much). Mint or new condition because it has NEVER been fired, but I do not have the original box. Wood is standard, but has very nice grain for a straight stock. Other than that, its perfect.

What do you all think would be a good asking or selling price for this piece? :?: I am contimplating letting it go. Well sort of. Kinda a hard decisson, but I could use the money.

TIA... Randy
Last edited by Randy M. on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Randy,

I know I made the buy of the year when I bought my Shiloh 63 carbine in June of last year. My 63 is a .54 cal with a serial number just a little over 1200. It had less than 50 rounds through it and is in mint condition with all the extras on it. It came with 2 boxes of cast bullets, musket caps, nitrate paper, glue sticks and a dowel kit to roll papers. I gave $800 for it. Others I have seen in as good a condition have been from a low of $1500 to $1800.
Wish I could run into more deals like that.
Frank

P.S. I should have added that the rifles I saw were at gun shows and the dealers said that Shiloh rifles were good selling rifles and they wished they had more to sell.
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Randy,

Look at the N-SSA web site in the forum section. Then look at the "for sale" section. Shilohs like yours are up for sale quite a bit. See what the asking prices are.

www.N-SSA.org

Rich
Randy M.

Post by Randy M. »

Thanks Frank and Rich,
I did'nt know the for sale link existed. As you all probably noticed, I'm new and accually did'nt even know this forum was here. But I'll check that out.
Does anyone here think that the fact the rifle has never been fired makes a difference in its value? I do have and have had a tack driving '74 Shiloh for many years now, which is one reason I never shot the '63. But if it really does'nt mater that much for re-sale, maybe I'll take it out and have some fun with it. :D then think about re-sale.

Randy
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Randy,

I really haven't heard that there are serious collectors of Shilohs that demand unfired guns. The only owners of Shilohs I know of shoot their guns so if you shot the gun carefully and cleaned it properly, I don't think it would loose it's current value.

Rich
HvyMtl

Saddle rifle:

Post by HvyMtl »

Randy,

Not long ago I bought a 1863 Farmingdale Shiloh 54 cal. paper cartridge rifle from the original owner and it was unfired too. Well the first thing I did was to clean the oil off and go fire it, shot pretty good but I have to get a bullet sized at about .541-.542 and it will be real accurate. I paid 1300 hundred for it and I know the bidding on e-bay went passed that price. If you shoot it, it will not take any value off the carbine so go out and have fun.

Ken
Randy M.

Post by Randy M. »

Hmmm.... now you guys have got me thinking. :) Maybe I will take'er out and see what it can do. Should be fun. Does anyone use pyrodex in their guns, or is that considered the "mortal sin", lol.
As far as the value goes, what most of you'al have suggested is pretty much what I already had in mind. Thanks.
Randy
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Randy,

I use 50 grains of GOEX FFG powder in a paper cartridge with a 490 grain, .549 Rapine bullet as my match load but others use Pyrodex 50 caliber discs. Doesn't matter, you can even throw a bullet (.549 diameter bullet or ball) into the breech and just pour powder into the chamber.

Have fun but be sure to clean the gun very well. Take off the fore stock and clean the breech lever spring assembly as well as the gas shield plate and remove the nipple and clean in the flash channel as well as aroung the nipple.

Rich
HvyMtl

1863/BP?

Post by HvyMtl »

Randy,

My 1859 Ped. likes a powder called Cleanshot, which is a BP substitute like Pyrodex. I've tried many different types and grain sizes in the rifle but it seems to like the Cleanshot in ff size the best. I don't know what the 1863 Shiloh likes as yet because like I said i'm still looking for a bullet for it. Don't forget these are both rifles but some of the guys here do have and shoot the carbines.

Ken
Randy M.

Post by Randy M. »

:lol: giving life to an old thread!!! :lol:

Still have the rifle, decided to try to get $1,300 OBO for it. Sooooo, if anyone knows anyone. (hint,hint)

Shoot me a PM or email rockworm1@yahoo.com

thanks, Randy