Reloading Needs for black powder 45/70

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
SGT ROCK

Reloading Needs for black powder 45/70

Post by SGT ROCK »

:D Hello members:
I have been shooting my Borchardt some now and then and it really is accurate.Now that I'm starting to get some empty casings I thought I would get back into the old powder.Old gun-old powder yes?Anyway I still have my goodies from loading my old muskets years ago.I know I have an electric smelter,pouring ladel,and about 3 different bullet moulds with handles.
I just bought a new Lee 45/70 350 grain conical mould off of ebay,but I need a good hand loader and a bunch of primers.Do any of you have these items or can tell me where to obtain this hardware?
The 3 moulds I have are a 451,350 and another which I think is for my Ruger Old Army,But they are for round ball ammo.Just got into my storage building and found these items,even my large & small flasks.Has anyone used triple 7 powder? I was thinkingof getting a pound of that also?Any help would be nice and you have my greatest thanks......Danny
Danny B
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I was in WallyWorld last night and they have 777 powder for $27.50 per pound. I buy Goex for 1/2 that and get better, more consistant loads that clean up a whole bunch easier.
Don't waste your time and money with the substitute powders. unless that is the only thing you can find.
Your moulds should be .458 / .459 diameter for the 45/70 and for best results around 475 to 530 grains cast of 20:1 - 30:1, or even pure lead. Depends upon what the rifle likes.

Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
dakotasharps

Post by dakotasharps »

The last case of GOEX FFg I bought recently was $10.16 per pound including shipping. It's a lot cheaper than even an inexpensive BP substitute like Pyrodex RS and shoots much better with much more consistent velocity, less pressure and lighter, softer fouling.

I'll second the recomendation for a mould in the 480-530 gr weight range. Lyman makes pretty reasonably priced moulds at around $50 each (another 25 for handles). I have also used Rapine moulds and NEI moulds. Both run $90 to $100 (or more if you go the custom route) but are well made and offer a little more variety.
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

[quote="dakotasharps"]The last case of GOEX FFg I bought recently was $10.16 per pound including shipping. It's a lot cheaper than even an inexpensive BP substitute like Pyrodex RS and shoots much better with much more consistent velocity, less pressure and lighter, softer fouling. [/quote]
Will they ship that stuff directly to you, or to a dealer? I've visited the GOEX website and the nearest distributor is down in Arkansas. I live in southwest Missouri and see nothing listed for my area (would a gun dealer not listed as a distributor stock any Goex?)
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

newshooter, try www.powderinc.com . They will deliver. But you have to copy a release form from their web site , sign it, stating that you can legally purchase explosives. Once they have that on file, check your local, and state laws so you know what quantity, and storage requirements are. Its easier than it sounds.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
dakotasharps

Post by dakotasharps »

newshooter wrote:Will they ship that stuff directly to you, or to a dealer? I've visited the GOEX website and the nearest distributor is down in Arkansas. I live in southwest Missouri and see nothing listed for my area (would a gun dealer not listed as a distributor stock any Goex?)
Powder Inc will ship to your home or business in 25 lb lots. You just need to fax them verification that you are 21 years of age and the rest of the order can be done on the phone. (As of a month or two ago, their on-line order system was not working right.)

It will arrive via UPS in 3-5 days and you need to have an adult around to sign for it. While you pay about $40 in hazardous material shipping charges, spread over 25 lbs, the cost is relatively cheap, espeically when you consider that your total cost of $10 something a pound for GOEX is half the cost of Pyrodex RS and a third the cost of other BP substitutes that really do not perform well.

Federally speaking, (local laws may vary) private individuals (who are prohibited from reselling it) can have up to 50 lbs of black powder on hand with no other requirements or restrictions.

A dealer on the other hand, has to keep any amount, even a pound, under lock and key in an approved fireproof safe in addition to the other normal record keeping requirements, which is the reason that most gun dealers will not mess with it.
dakotasharps

Post by dakotasharps »

newshooter wrote:Will they ship that stuff directly to you, or to a dealer? I've visited the GOEX website and the nearest distributor is down in Arkansas. I live in southwest Missouri and see nothing listed for my area (would a gun dealer not listed as a distributor stock any Goex?)
Powder Inc will ship to your home or business in 25 lb lots. You just need to fax them verification that you are 21 years of age and the rest of the order can be done on the phone. (As of a month or two ago, their on-line order system was not working right.)

It will arrive via UPS in 3-5 days and you need to have an adult around to sign for it. While you pay about $40 in hazardous material shipping charges, spread over 25 lbs, the cost is relatively cheap, espeically when you consider that your total cost of $10 something a pound for GOEX is half the cost of Pyrodex RS and a third the cost of other BP substitutes that really do not perform well.

Private individuals (who are prohibited from reselling it) can have up to 50 lbs of black powder on hand with no other requirements or restrictions.

A dealer on the other hand, has to keep any amount, even a pound, under lock and key in an approved fireproof safe in addition to the other normal record keeping requirements, which is the reason that most gun dealers will not mess with it.
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

:cry: That 25 pound requirement, while not so bad for a serious shooter, would do me in. At the moment all I have is a couple of cap and ball revolvers- I just don't need 25 pounds of the stuff around. If I were to get a Sharps and do my own loading and a lot of shooting I'd do it. I've read somewhere, maybe here on this forum, that blackpowder burns better than the substitutes. I kind of like the idea of going authentic anyway.
Mayber I'll get lucky and find a local with something.
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

newshooter, powder inc will sell lots smaller than 25lbs.. I usually get 5lbs. at a time because thats the most I can have at any one time in my state. :cry: Its just cheaper to buy the bigger lots is all. They might even have links to distributers in your area. I found one in Hershey, PA that Im going to pay a visit to thats only 1hr&1/2 away from me. Personally even if it were to cost more to get real powder instead of the imitation, I will still get it. Thats what they were designed for.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back