Schuetzen powder

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rich Siegel

Schuetzen powder

Post by Rich Siegel »

I bought a can of FFG German Schuetzen powder to try. I loaded 50 grains into my paper cartridge attached to a 490 grain Rapine ringtail bullet. Only loaded 10 to for starters and fired three shots at 50 yards from a rest under the forearm of my Shiloh '63 carbine. Just a large hole at point of aim. About 1/2" center to center for the three shots. I then fired the rest offhand with equally good results. Now to reload some more and try at 100 yards.

The powder is cheaper then GOEX but seems to shoot to same point of aim and very good accuracy.

Rich
HvyMtl

Schutzen BP:

Post by HvyMtl »

Rich,

Yes, prior to his passing, Bob Bayless was trying that powder in his 45/70, I think he said at 800 yds. he was hitting a 2' pie plate, he was pretty excited about it. I was also talking to him about using Swiss in the paper cartridge rifles because it doesn't have to be compressed for good accuracy. Keep us posted for the results at 100 yds.

Ken
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

You mentioned the powder is cheaper than Goex, I buy my cartridge for $9.00 a pound, is it less than that?? If it is I'd like to try it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Ken

$9 a pound is about what the Schuetzen is selling for. My GOEX cost about $11 per pound or $50 for a five pound bag. $9 for GOEX is a very good price, especially in one pound cans.

I fired some more Schuetzen today, this time in my 50/70 with my standard duplex load only substituting Schuetzen for GOEX. I got much higher velocities based on bullet trajectory but also possible leading. More experiments needed.

Rich
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Rich, I am buying 20 pounds but it is $9 a pound from Clarksville Rod and Gun in Clarksville, AR. I'm also picking it up so I'm not having to pay shiping either. I think I'll get a couple of cans of Shutzen?? to play with if they have any. This is in the same town as Powder, Inc, and they are only 10 cents a can higher, but you have to buy 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25 lbs.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter