question on Shiloh .45 cal percussion rifle

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Eugene

question on Shiloh .45 cal percussion rifle

Post by Eugene »

Hello follow Sharps shooters,

I recently brought an old 1863 new model .45 cal percussion Shiloh Sharps Military rifles. As I was cleaning and inspecting it, I noticed that the locking pin holding the breech block in the receiver was very difficult to turn. IT took me awhile to finally got it loose and removed it from the receiver. As I was pulling it out, I could feel the level hole shifted downward as it was being pushed out by the breech spring mounted on the barrel. Once the pin was off, I couldn't re-insert it back since the hole on the level would not line up with the receiver. I had to remove the breech spring from the barrel. Then the pin could easily re-inserted into the receiver with the breech block. It seems that the breech spring is pushing the level off position thus preventing the holes to line up between the level and the receiver.
Any one experience that problem before?
Also anyone know where I could get the replacement screw for that breech spring? As I was tidening the screw back, the head of the screw broken off completely from the body of the screw. I was so upset :evil:

Also, any good suggestion in shooting the rifle in terms of the load and bullet for the rifle? Thanks.

Eugene
HvyMtl

1863 Problems:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Eugene,

Yes some of them are stubborn but it should go back in. Sometimes you have to lower the lever as you try to reinstall it. I to have problems with both the Ped. 1859 54 cal. and my Farmer. 45/70 but its not very bad, it should just take a llittle work. How was the lever working overall before you removed it?

Most of the guys I speak to have the rifle in 54 and 50 cal. but being yours is in 45 cal. you could experiment with any 45 cal bullet but I would slug the barrel first and check the bore size first hand.

Ken
HvyMtl

1863 Problems:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Eugene,

Yes some of them are stubborn but it should go back in. Sometimes you have to lower the lever as you try to reinstall it. I to have problems with both the Ped. 1859 54 cal. and my Farmer. 45/70 but its not very bad, it should just take a llittle work. How was the lever working overall before you removed it?

Most of the guys I speak to have the rifle in 54 and 50 cal. but being yours is in 45 cal. you could experiment with any 45 cal bullet but I would slug the barrel first and check the bore size first hand.

Ken
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Eugene,

You should be able to get a screw from the Shiloh Co. On my Shiloh '63 carbine, I must drop the loading lever, with the breech fully open, to get the pin out. I also polished the retaining spring a little. On some of my new '74 Shilohs, I have to remove the forearm, loosen the spring screw, and then remove the pivot pin.

Rich
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Eugene, You can e-mail lucinda@shilohrifle.com and get a new screw. If the pin was real easy to get out that would mean the spring is shot and the lever would not stay in the closed position. I never loosen the spring screw, I put pressure with my thumb on the lever to help line the holes up and then twist and push on the pin. Most of the broken lever springs come from people not getting them tightened back up good or after so many times the head will break off, as you had happen. The old Farmingdale 74's are the only ones that you have to loosen the screw on, due to a square shoulder on the lever pin. Hope this helps. Kirk
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Thank you for your replies.

I had ordered a replacement screw from Shiloh.
The block was tight when open and close. Actually I saw a dent mark next to the edge of the hole of the level when I first removed the level. The block was in the open position when I try to reinsert the pin. But the holes were off.

Just have to take it to the range and try it out. :)

Thanks.

Eugene
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

I was looking at the barrel and notices that the outside of the barrel appears to have rings or "bludges" running along the length of the barrel. Is that normal for early Shiloh rifle???? The inside riffling looks good, shinely, no rings or any deformity, very smooth.

Any idea why the outside of the barrel looks like that???? Should I test fire it or not?????

Eugene
HvyMtl

bludge ?

Post by HvyMtl »

Eugene,

Whats a bludge ? If you meant bulge that is odd, but if the inside of the barrel looks good i'd say shoot it. Both my rifles are smooth on the outside. I just recieved some bullets from Buffalo Arms for the Farmer. 1863 which are .542 and should fit very nicely, can't wait to shoot it with these bullets.

Ken
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Hi Ken,

Sorry, it was my typo. I was saying the bulges or "rings" on the outside as I looked down the barrel.
The inside of the barrel looks good. My shiloh is .45cal percussion 1859 model. But I do have a .54cal Pedersoli Berdan Sharps. Sure would like to test fire both of them once I find some bullets.

Eugene