Considering new bullet

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rich Siegel

Considering new bullet

Post by Rich Siegel »

Hi Folks,

I've been out experimenting again with my Shiloh 54 military carbine. I'm now getting good groups at 100 yards using 50 grains of FFG Schuetzen powder but I still get a flyer about one in seven shots, about 6" out of the 2" group. Of course, it could be me!

I now use a Rapine tapered ringtail bullet weighing 490 grains. I'm considering a flat based bullet of say, 400 grains. Glueing the paper cartridge right on to the side of the bullet. Anyone have experience with shooting such a bullet using a paper cartridge. I feel that the flat base bullet might bump up better to seal the bore.

Your thoughts?

Rich
Randall

Post by Randall »

Rich,
I have excellent results with a 490 ringtail glued on the lower band to the paper. If I remember right it is about 42.5 grains by weight of Goex 2f and a wad to take up the space to make the base of the paper flush with the mouth of the chamber. My best group ever was a 1 1/4" 5 shot @ 100 yds with my 1863 .54 sporting rifle. I don't know if it has had anything to do with the accuracy but I started piercing the paper base with a pin before firing. I bought some Swiss powder to see if all of the claims about it hold up.
HvyMtl

Bullets:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi guys,

I try to shoot a bullet for target that I can also use for hunting. this way nothing changes in the field and I get used to the trajectory of the bullet. The most accurate bullet for the 1859 Ped. rifle is so far the old style Lyman mini with the hollow base which weighs 430 gr. although most bullets shot out of this rifle are accurate. I bought a mould from Dixe which is a Ped. mould that is listed at .544 but only casts out at .541 which is a little to small for the 1863 Farmer. Shiloh which needs a bullet at .543 minimum. I think this Ped. bullet would be the perfect bullet for these rifles as it weighs 520 gr. which I think would be a good stable bullet at 200 yds. plus. This coming season I will try this bullet in the Ped. at 200 yds. plus and see how it does.

Ken

P.S. Randall, thats good shooting keep it up. I have a suspicion that Swiss would make these rifles shoot very well as it doesn't have to be compressed.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Thanks Ken,

That has been several years ago with much younger eyes. I don't know if I could repeat it if I had too but I still try. Love these Shilohs.

Randall