1863 military rifle with scope

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Bill Gautsch

1863 military rifle with scope

Post by Bill Gautsch »

Greetings to all. I have monitored and enjoyed the forums here for some time. Now that I am about to receive my new Shiloh 1863 Military rifle soon, I am seeking comments on the pro's an con's of scoping this rifle. I am a shooter and enjoy obtaining good performance from a rifle. My eyes are good with diopter sights, not so well with the open.

Also, bullet/powder recomendations?

I've shot the muzzleloaders for many decades and have decided to switch ends....

Your comments will be appreciated.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Bill,
I would scope that military rifle if you eyes would do best with it. I am not sure if the various sharpshooter units had them on their Sharps or not. In my .54 carbine I have found it shoots best with a paper cartridge with the bullet integral, and it is not my imagination. My two favorites thus far are an NEI #383 490 NS (a ring tail) backed by 60 g. 2fg. The other is a flat nosed bullet of 415 g. provided by Shiloh as a mould when I bought the rifle @1978. It too with 60 g. 2fg. Both cartridges are designed to load flush with the block as it is lifted. I nitrate only the base. I use a design of Terry Behm's that I have have tweaked a little bit. He and others have their recomendations of bullets, (there are so many), and cartridges in this forum. Some simply loose load as I used to or use a cartridge sheared off by the block also as I once did. I hope it all goes well for you!
Gregg
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Bill,

I don't know of any Civil War unit that actually put scopes on the military Sharps rifles. Berdan's sharpshooters used the barrel sights or muzzleloaders with scope sights.

The Shiloh military rifle comes drilled and tapped for a tang sight. Also, MLV posts on this board but mostly on the shooter to shooter or black powder shooter section. I beleive he put a scope on his 1874 Shiloh military rifle. You might try asking him on those sections of the board.

As for loads, I target shoot with a '63 Shiloh carbine and use a Rapine ringtail bullet, 490 grains, and 50 grains of GOEX FFG powder in a nitrated paper cartridge. This is a slow load. As I remember, around 800 fps.

Rich
Bill Gautsch

scoping and loads for 1863 military rifle

Post by Bill Gautsch »

Gentlemen, thank you for the input. I did not know the tang was drilled for a sight. I'll try a tang sight first before a scope. I am hoping the rifle will be available for pickup the end of February when we are out in the area for a week. Once the Wisconsin winter goes away I'll head to the range.
HvyMtl

New 1863:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Bill,

Your gonna love that rifle, I have two one is a Ped. 1859 in 54 cal. and the other is a Farmer. Shiloh 1863 also in 54 cal. I have found that the size of the bullet is very important for good accuracy, being one or two thousandths over bore size. I don't think you'll need a scope though but just a decent Tang or Soule sight of mid range ability. You should also check out the post under cleaning the 1863 for some good tips on cleaning the rifle.

Good luck

Ken
HvyMtl

New 1863:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Bill,

Your gonna love that rifle, I have two one is a Ped. 1859 in 54 cal. and the other is a Farmer. Shiloh 1863 also in 54 cal. I have found that the size of the bullet is very important for good accuracy, being one or two thousandths over bore size. I don't think you'll need a scope though but just a decent Tang or Soule sight of mid range ability. You should also check out the post under cleaning the 1863 for some good tips on cleaning the rifle.

Good luck

Ken
sharps1859

Post by sharps1859 »

I have one of the 1863 rifles that was offered scoped by Navy Arms back in the 1970s/80s. Was second owner and bought it off the back of a guy at a gunshow.

Best shooter I ever tried.

Scope was 4x brass affair that mounted to the top of the barrel and allowed for both windage and elevation adjustments after a fashion. I got it "zeroed" at 100 yards one time and fired several 5-shot groups that stayed on a silver dollar for size.

sharps1859
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Sharps 1859,
So you own as Ken does a Berdan '59? In any case that is great accuracy with a gas seal rifle. (my term) The scope helped obviously, but were you shooting paper cartidges, loose loading, or what?
Gregg
sharps1859

Post by sharps1859 »

Gregg:

Yes - my 1863 does have the double-set triggers that Shiloh offered. I've seen 1863s with single triggers and no patchboxes, so I imagine a collector could have a field day. Over the years, I've owned a few examples in .45, .50 and .54 calibers.

I shot prepared cartridges with nitrated paper. They were made up using a kit from Dixie. The bullet - I used an original Sharps bullet mold that was in "new" condition" when I bought it. Powder charge was 70 grains.

sharps1859
HvyMtl

Scoped rifle:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hello Sharps1859,

That is very good accuracy, have you ever tried it at longer distances than 100 yds ? and I'd be curious as to the mould that came with the rifle as to what kind of bullet it puts out ?

Thanks

Ken
HvyMtl

Scoped rifle:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hello Sharps1859,

That is very good accuracy, have you ever tried it at longer distances than 100 yds ? and I'd be curious as to the mould that came with the rifle as to what kind of bullet it puts out ?

Thanks

Ken
Jim Mulligan

Post by Jim Mulligan »

Bill,
I assume your rifle is being produced in the current batch? I also have one in this batch. Have you heard when they might start shipping?
Bill Gautsch

Post by Bill Gautsch »

Jim,

I have not heard about shipping dates but will be calling a a week or so since we are "dropping by" enroute to a meeting in western Montana the end of February. Which model did you order? We opted for the Military even though my best friend, companion and wife liked the carbine for her stature. Should I hear some firm shipping time line I will share it with you.
I believe there are 175 rifles in this batch. (Don't quote me please)

take care,
Bill
Jim Mulligan

Post by Jim Mulligan »

Bill,

I purchased a carbine a few years ago. This time I'm getting the military rifle. The N-SSA is going to have a single shot breech loading event. We are going to have a team entered so two of my team mates purchased one as well.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Jim,

Make sure you got the patch box on the rifle. Is the N-SSA team competition going to be at the Nationals?

Rich