Brand new to Sharps and Black Powder, need advice

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
xfwm

Brand new to Sharps and Black Powder, need advice

Post by xfwm »

I just found an 1863 Sharps military rifle in .54 caliber at an estate sale. I have zero experience with black powder, and I have never made a cartridge either. I am eager to learn, but need some help. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a list of everthing I need to get to make a cartridge, and the basic steps of the process. From browsing this forum, it looks like I need the papers, powder, and bullet. Anything else? Also, can you buy bullets for this gun, or do I have to get a mold? Some of you seem to recommend the NEI .540-490-NS # 383 mold. If I need to make the bullets themselves with a mold, please make sure to tell me all the supplies I will need for that. I would appreciate it if you can recommend good places to get them as well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

David
HvyMtl

New shooter:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hello Xfwm,

Well you made the right choice as they are a lot of fun to shoot. To start with you can order bullets from Buffalo Arms and then if you find out that you enjoy it you can buy a mould and make your own. Just about any paper can be used to make paper cartridges but if you do a search on the forum it has been covered before better than I could explain it. Although most of the guys seem to use a christmas tree type bullet ,I have found that the Lyman mini old style bullet shoots the most accurate but you must have the right size bore. The bore on my Ped. 1859 54 cal. is about .536 and it takes a bullet that is .535 and is very accurate but this bullet won't fit the 1863 Shiloh because its bore is about .542. Slug your barrel and get the bore size and then try to use a bullet that is about 1-2 thousanths larger.

Hope this helps

Ken