Farmingdale '63 with some barrel pitting...

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Joe Burr

Farmingdale '63 with some barrel pitting...

Post by Joe Burr »

I have found a '63 built in Farmingdale, serial number 92*, It looks pretty good, but I noted that it has pitting right around the muzzle, so I assume there will be more in the barrel. Obviously it wasn't cleaned well. Will barrel pitting affect accuracy much with paper cartridges?I will have to see what to see what it looks like inside as well.
cathousewilly

Post by cathousewilly »

Joe I,m thinking you're the Joe Burr from the Red Mountain Renegades
in mission b.c.I've seen the rifle you mentioned the bore is quite "brown"
from breech to muzzle. price was top dollar.,barrel bands are loose
action was smooth.
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Cathousewilly,

You are correct sir, I AM THAT Joe Burr. :D

I think they are asking too much for the 1863 myself. I hoped to hear comments from others how rough bores effect accuracy in these rifles.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Joe,

The Shiloh '63 carbine I use in competition has some light pitting about 2" forward of the breech. I don't think it hurts accuracy and I can get over ten rounds off without wiping the barrel without any problems.

Depending on price, you can buy and shoot it and return it to Shiloh for a new barrel or have a new barrel liner put in (about $200) if accuracy is poor. Well used Shiloh carbines, but with excellent bores, go for around $900 to $1000 on the east coast. In fact, I'm going to be selling an as new carbine in May. Send me a personal message for more info so you can decide on price.

Rich