Percussion Sharps Chamber Question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gmkmd

Percussion Sharps Chamber Question

Post by gmkmd »

I'm new to shooting percussion arms, and I really appreciate all the help you members freely offer. My previous experience is with blackpowder cartridge.

I have a question about the loading of loose powder (via plastic tube loaders), or open ended paper cartridges (by cutting the tail) into the chamber of the Sharps percussion models.

The face of the breechblock has a recess milled into it, around the flash hole, which effectively becomes part of the chamber when it is closed. If only the forward part of the chamber is filled with powder, when the breechblock is closed the recess in the breechblock creates an air space within the closed chamber. This additional space leaves the powder somewhat loosely packed behind the bullet. This is accentuated with loading loose powder into the chamber, or cutting the tail of a paper cartridge, where the powder is free to settle out into the recess of the breechblock, leaving air space in the chamber (as compared to a complete paper cartridge where the powder charge is held together).

My understanding is that one of the cardinal rules of blackpowder (whether cartirdge or cap & ball), is to have the charge tight, with the bullet seated firmly against it, and no loose air space. Why isn't this a problem in the percussion Sharps?
HvyMtl

Air space:

Post by HvyMtl »

Its a good question, I'll try and help you out. I think when one loads loose powder its a good idea to keep the barrel facing down or that is not point the barrel up. I load loose powder and I have never had a problem. I do make sure that the bullet is seated into the breech as far as possible without distorting it. I have mostly shot my Ped. 1859 this way but have on occassion shot the Shiloh also. the Ped. doesn't have this hollow area but don't forget that he Shiloh was designed this way so the gas plate is pushed forward upon firing to seal it up to prevent hot gases from leaking out.

I have made paper cartridges for both rilfes but I make the length of them so the block does not cut off the end but rather they fit just right. I have never had any cartridges fail to go off.

Hope this helps

Ken
dm3280

Air space

Post by dm3280 »

Don't worry. I have a Shiloh 1863 rifle and use to have a carbine. I was worried about it at first but after reading this site and shooting mine I have never had a problem. These gunes were designed to handle it. I have shot anywhere from 50 grains to a full load. When I was using loose bullet and powder I carried a small dowel rod. I would drop the bullet in then push it in the with the dowel rod. Next I would pour in the powder and have fun. Now I make paper cartridges.

I take tracing paper and cut rectangles 1 7/8 x 3 inches. I wrap them around a dowel rod that will create a cylinder that will fit over the base of the bullet somewhat snug, glue with a glue stick. I next cut cig paper in half and place over a smaller dowel rod and push into the tube. Before I get to the end I smear some elmers glue aound the inside edge. Push the cig paper flush with the bottom and let dry. When dry I drop in whatever charge I want followed by a card wad then filler of some sort to take up the rest of the space. I leave just enough room to get the base of the bullet in. I put more elmers glue around the bottom edge of the bullet and put into the paper cylinder. Let dry and lub by hand. A lot of work but makes shooting more fun. I believe I get better accuracy with the paper cartridges. My most accurate load is a ringtail bullet on top of 50 grains of ff. At 100 yards with a tang sight and my bad eyes I can get about a 3 inch group, from sand bags of course. The tracing paper is not treated in any way and I get total burn, no pieces left in the chamber.

With the size I gave above the chamber is 1 7/8 inches long will allow the paper cartridge to be pushed all the way in and no paper is sheared off when I close the gun up. The cig paper is thin enough that the spark has no problem burning through. I do not have any problems with hang fires.

Good luck and have fun
gmkmd

Post by gmkmd »

Hi dm,
Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused at to why you use one paper tube inside of the other?
dm3280

paper tube

Post by dm3280 »

There is only one tube. The cig paper is formed over a dowel end to form sort of a cup. The cup is pushed to the other end of the tube. This will make one end sealed off with cig paper. Now when you pour in your powder the cig paper keeps it from dropping all the way through and is thin enough to allow the flash if the cap to ignite the powder.
blogGreen88

plastic wrap

Post by blogGreen88 »

Are you talking about plastic wrap or something else?! Umm. There is a good page for plastic wrap perhaps!
Also,you can find some other content on it,such as spanish wine or stainless steel tubing or buy medicine.
You can search on the homepage try some other keywords,no ads even.these page updated every day.Because of the huge database,it perhaps not very fast,if you don't like it,take it easy.