Sharps "53 sporting rifles

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rich Siegel

Sharps "53 sporting rifles

Post by Rich Siegel »

Just got back (Monday morning at 3:15 am) from the N-SSA Spring Nationals. While walking around Sutlers Row, I saw 2 1853 sporting slant breech original Sharps. Both with heavy barrels, around 27" long and curved butt plates. I don't recall if they had double set triggers. Both in faily nice condition. Barrels might have to be relined to shoot though. Didn't get to examine either but they looked to be 60 bore (44 caliber). Both had the patch box in the stock.

One started out to be priced at $2500 and the other at $3500. By the end of the week, both were at $3500. Actually, not a bad price considering what new 1863 Shiloh sporting rifles go for. I'm sure the prices were not firm!

Actually, speaking of 1863 Shilohs, there seems to be a glut on the market. I sold an "as new, never shot" military carbine for $1425 but I saw a lot of used New York carbines for sale arount $1000 to $1200. One man had a 54 caliber, "wolf's head" rifle with patch box in excellent condition, for $1600. That might have been sold by the end of the week or he might have taken it home. No civilian '63s though. I thing too many people are afraid of the paper cartridges and the cleaning as compaired to the cartridge Shilohs.

Rich
HvyMtl

Too much work:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Rich,

Sounds like you had fun. I don't think they are affraid of the paper cartridge rifles but are affraid of the work involved in shooting them correctly. We were discussing the capabilities if an 1863 having a fast twist barrel on it and how accurate it would be say in 45 cal. I'm thinking it might be very accurate out to 4-500 yds. and be able to shoot silhouettes. Although not historically correct one would not have to worry about primers, compression, or anything having to do with prepareing brass.

Ken
OLD CHIEF

lots of 63's for sale

Post by OLD CHIEF »

One of reasons the 63 is going out of favor is at the NSSA it seems lot of the real good/wining carbine shooters are going to smiths etc.
as a new NSSA shooter this year when I started to look for a carbine most recommended the smith. it is easy to clean, it loads and shoots fast, and at $750.00 for a new one, Costs a lot less than a good used Sharps.
I don’t mind the extra work and love shooting the 63 even if it means being a little out of date. Hell at my age and with my eyes I am not likely to be in the winners circle anyway. On the plus side at these prices I can move up to a Shilo. :D
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Old Chief,

I agree that there are more Smiths on the line then any other carbine. They are cheap, easy to clean, easy to make loads for and generally a good carbine. My problem with them is the stock. Too straight for my face/body. I can't get my cheek down in the right position. The Sharps just fits me.

With the glut of Shilohs on the market now, you can get a good Shiloh for $1000 or less, coming close to the Smith price.

Rich
OLD CHIEF

good price on 63

Post by OLD CHIEF »

Rich

i just made a deal for an older shilo sharps which i would not have been able to afford if the price had not gone down some. so no cloud gos without a silver lineing for someone. :D :D

old chief