Chamber dimension for 63 Carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
dra1911

Chamber dimension for 63 Carbine

Post by dra1911 »

Just purchased a used 54 Cal. Shiloh Sharps 63 Sharps Carbine ser#8XX.
It has a gas seal plate on the breech and appears to have a floating chamber. Does anyone make an expanding mandrel to remove or rotate it to allow for cleaning? The chamber measures approximately 0.625" at the mouth and 1.300" long. Is the chamber tapered and is this normal for the .54 Cal. bore? If this is not normal any suggestions for a quality Sharps gunsmith to correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I have a Shiloh '63 military carbine, 54 cal., made some time in the late 80's or early 90's. When using a Rapine Christmas tree bullet, my paper tube attached to the rear of the bullet measures 1 3/4" to the back face of the breech and holds 50 grains of FFG Goex powder. My bore, at the breech, measures approximately .550". The chamber is straight sided.

The bore sizes and length changed over the years. I had a '63 rifle that would hold 75 grains of powder in a paper cartridge (don't remember the length) but if it were me, and you're using a paper cartrige attached to a ringtail bullet, make an extra long cartridge attached to the bullet but with no powder, and push it into the barrel. Then mark the cartridge at the breech face and make cartridges to that mark. Then fill the cartridges with different grades of powder, FG, FFG, and FFFG, as much as the cartridge will hold, and see how the gun shoots. Try different powder manufacturers and just see what works best.

As to the gas seal, if the gun has not been modified, there should be two indents, one on either side of the breech, to pry the seal off with a screw driver.

Rich
dra1911

63 Sharps chamber

Post by dra1911 »

Rich,
Thanks for the info. Slowly gathering the stuff to roll my own paper cartridges.
Dan Allen
HvyMtl

1863 Chamber:

Post by HvyMtl »

Dan,

That chamber cylinder on the Shilohs looks like it will move but it don't so don't try taking it out. I do have a Pedersoli 1859 which does have a removable chamber cylinder which seals the breech opening upon fireing. Although this does move it is not removable from the chamber either.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rich, hope all is well with you. We are going to go bear hunting up by you in the beginning of September the way it looks right now, if you would like to join us just say the word as you will be welcomed to do so.

Ken
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Ken,

Thanks for the offer but I'll be boating up in Canada the first part of Sept.

Where are you going? Using bait or dogs? What gun are you taking?

Rich
HvyMtl

1863 Chamber:

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Rich,

The caretaker that is in charge of my friends property is going to be baiting, but he'll be doing that for people that want to pay him to hunt on my friends property. My friend Kevin the owner told the caretaker he could do that and keep the $ he makes with the stipulation that when we come up hunting anyone paying knows that we'll be hunting wherever we want to go. Pete the Caretaker said there are a lot of bear up there and even if there are 10-15 taken there will still be plenty more. Due to work these plans could change.

The property is just outside of Rumford about 8 miles going east. we'll be making one more trip before hunting season to set up a few things like blinds and such, we also have to clear out some of the trails for the quads to be able to get around more easily.

Ken
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Ken,

If you are going next year, please let me know. I'll be a paying customer.

Rich
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

Rich,

Don't worry about it your my guest ! We'll be hunting untill the end of Nov. so if you get the chance don't be bashful, i'll keep you posted as to our hunting trips up your way.

Enjoy the 4th, because thats really what its all about.

Ken