filler ?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
OLD CHIEF

filler ?

Post by OLD CHIEF »

i am trying to make up a target load for my Shiloh 63 using grits for a filler but it looks like the grits and the powder are mixing some after the paper cartridge is made up and lubed. :cry: :cry: what can i do to insure a constant powder load. i have used the loading tubes but that is slow and would realy like to use paper cartridge loads. :? :?
Bill Hicks
Dahlonega Ga
Please remember that most free advice is worth what you pay for it.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

How much powder are you using in order to need filler? Kirk
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

XXGrampa, can you please help Oldchief out with a grits recipe for his rifle, or is it oatmeal that you use? I get cornfused at times anymore. Hominy good years have I got left, I don't know?
OLD CHIEF

load

Post by OLD CHIEF »

Kirk- i am hopeing to end up with a load of around 50 gr. :?
Bill
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Will the gun not fire with just a 50 grain cartridge?
OLD CHIEF

load

Post by OLD CHIEF »

Kirk

with 50 gr i get hang fires :oops:
Bill
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Old Chief

Do you have a rifle or a carbine? What type bullet are you using?

You could load your filler in the paper cartridge first and then put a layer of thin paper over it and put in the powder next. An alternative is with a ringtail bullet, the tail is 50 caliber so after you glue on the paper cartridge, you could put 50 cal. wads in, next to the bullet tail, to take up space.

Rich
dm3280

filler

Post by dm3280 »

When I roll my cartridge for a 54 cal the diamater of the tube is exactly the same as that of a 45-70 shell. This allows me to put in the powder then a fiber wad then the filler then the bullet is glued in. Works great
OLD CHIEF

load

Post by OLD CHIEF »

I am useing a ring tail in an 63 carbine. do you use a wonder wad?

Thanks Bill
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Bill,

I don't use any wad in the paper cartridge. Just glue teh paper tube onto the tail, pour in the powder and glue an end cap on the back of the cartridge. I use hair curler paper for the end cap. The percussion cap burns right through.

Rich
dm3280

filler

Post by dm3280 »

I use a fiber wad that they sell to put between the bullet and powder in a 45-70 case. I think they call the Walter vegitable wads. They are brown and look like a piece of cardboard and come in different thicknesses. If you have a punch just punch some out of tablet paper or milk cartons, anything that will keep the filler and powder seperate.
dra1911

filler

Post by dra1911 »

Hey Guys,
I've managed to produce several rounds using 55 grains of black powder and a Lee .5cc measure of cornmeal seprated by a 3/4" square piece of veillum paper. I slightly compress the powder and cornmeal before seating and gluing a ringtail bullet. Pre-shape my wads by pushing them in a 6pt 1/2" socket with a 1/2" dowel rod, use the same dowel rod to compress the black powder and cornmeal. The finished product is a very tight paper cartridge. Have'nt gone to the range to test them yet. Is this a safe way of using the filler? Am I wasting my time building my cartridges this way?
Good Shooting
Dan