Shooter needs help

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gmkendall

Shooter needs help

Post by gmkendall »

Hi folks
I was just given a 1863 Garrett Arms Sharps carbine. Don't believe the carbine was ever shot. It has a copy of the Lawrence Pellet Primer System.I know that the primers are not available,but would like to know
the loading procedure,and diagram (parts list) as I may be missing a amall screw on top of the pellet cover. Shoots almost as good as a SHILOH
Thanks for any help in this problem
Gil
gmkendall@juno.com
fyrwokr

Post by fyrwokr »

These rifles were made by Palmetto, out of Italy.You might try e-mailing them for a parts diagram, as I recall they were made just like the original's .Their equipment was later sold to Pedersoli. My Dad had one of the Garretts back in the late 70's and it too shot great. I don't recall if it had the primer system on it. I have a Garrett sporter in 45-70 and it too is a fine shooter. Hope this helps. :lol:
Old Rifles, Whiskey and Friends.
Bud Man

Post by Bud Man »

I too had a Garrett, bought new around 1977-78 thru mail order, and it was dead nuts to the original 1863 carbine. Interestingly, the first one they sent me actually left the factory with the front sight blade at one o'clock! Hmmm..that won't work... Sent it back, and the second one they sent had a sight blade at about 12:30! Third one was the charm, and it shot very well.

Just came across a Shiloh Percussion bull barrel sporter that I am looking forward to shooting. I understand that its a pretty rare bird.

Bud
Life is NOT a dress rehearsal...
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

It must be pretty rare, this is the first i've heard of one but i'll bet as rare as it is its vey accurate.

Good luck with it

Ken
delbluecoat

Post by delbluecoat »

It is not rare, the people that have them just donot give them up.I have a collection of all three carbines. The info you need is in my notes. email me to get a copy
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

I've known Frank Garrett for about thirty five years. He has always been involved in the NSSA and has been a shooter as long as I've known him.

He mentioned to me that when he was having those rifles built it was a constant battle to keep the quality up and eventually he gave up and cancelled the contract. The bad part was once the contract was gone the maker kept making rifles but made changes to keep the price down. They were still marked Garrett and Frank tried to make them stop using his name but it's hard to enforce US law in Italy.

On all the Garrett guns built under contract Frank inspected them himself and if they passed his inspection he stamped the stock with a cartouce with his initials similar to US Military stock markings. If the rifle does not have Franks mark on the stock it is one of the guns built after the contract was cancelled and may or may not be a quality built rifle.

Dougs history lesson for today.
Freedom Isn't Free

Doug
Retired Bucktail

Post by Retired Bucktail »

Back when I was reenacting (1977-1997), one of my friends in the "Berdan Sharpshooters" produced working pellet primers for a short time.

I kept a set for display until one time I used them in drill; they worked perfect every time, but I never tested them with a load so I don't know if they were hot enough to ignite the main charge.

(I have a diagram of an original primer system in Winston O. Smith's book, if that helps.)