Removing a stuck gas check

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gmkendall

Removing a stuck gas check

Post by gmkendall »

Hi guys.
Got a Garrett arms sharps carbine,with a stuck gas check,tryed the Dixie
tool to remove the check, with no luck. Any help ,in the removal would
be great. The Garrett looks like new,never been fired. Original owner
never tryed to clean or lube the gas check. Anyone have the same problem,if so what would you suggest I try.

Gil
gmkendall@juno.com
HvyMtl

Stuck gas check:

Post by HvyMtl »

Make sure the gas check is supposed to come out. On the 1859 Ped. I have it does move in and out of the breech but does not remove from the rifle. The 1863 shiloh I have the gas seal does not move at all and is not supposed to be removed.

Ken
fyrwokr

Post by fyrwokr »

The gas check is supposed to come part way out. I have the same trouble with my Garrett and I still have not loosened it. I found a referance to this in a copy of Black Powder Cartridge from 1982, can't recall the month. I think the cover photo has Blue Jacket (Phil Sanders) and a Buff that he shot with a Hepburn. The guy who wrote the article said he used a cartridge case with a rim diameter just big enough to fit into the gas check and used it to catch the edge and the used a ramrod to tap it out, but his gun was brand new and it came out easy. Let me know if you find a way to move it and I'll do the same. The Pedersoli made tool looks quite different than the one that Dixie sells although both work about the same way. Good Luck !!
Old Rifles, Whiskey and Friends.
Retired Bucktail

Post by Retired Bucktail »

I was always able to remove my gas check with a small bladed screwdriver, "walking" it away from the block on alternating sides.

If it's stuck, make sure that it's not due to powder residue. Soak the block in boiling water, and use a cleaning solution. Also, use gun oil if that helps.

When reassembling the gas check, lubricate it first, and make sure that it moves freely. That's how it supposed to do it's job.
snapcap14

gas check or sleeve

Post by snapcap14 »

which one are you trying to get out.
also ask on the N-SSA board lots of guys there shoot them