removing chamber sleeve from Pedersoli 1859 rifle?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
brokenknife

Post by brokenknife »

I just bought a very nice used Pedersoli 1859 Sharps rifle. Everything works great and I want to keep it that way. I am concerned about cleaning the chamber sleeve thing. Is there some way to remove this part that I am missing? The back of the receiver keeps it from being pulled out far enough to be removed. I seem to have two choices-clean it as best as possible or modify the assembly for easy removal. What is the best way to clean this part without trapping water (making rust) in the chamber? OR can the sleeve be cut into two parts allowing removal for complete cleaning? Perhaps even male/female slotted cuts could be made on each part giving a better seal when together? Or is this really a problem?
Thanks
JMLange

Post by JMLange »

Those chamber sleeves are not meant to be removed (unless you remove the barrel from the breach). All you can do is pull it out as far as you can and clean it and the chamber the best you can. Before you push it back it use some choke tube lube or anti-seize grease to keep it from getting stuck (use it on the nipple threads and clean out screw also).

John