Info on old Sharps Rifle?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
MooseGundr

Info on old Sharps Rifle?

Post by MooseGundr »

Hello there, This is my first time on, this seemed like a good enough place to start my researching, I have little to no knowledge about rifles, my father passed away a few years ago leaving me a collection of 8 guns spanning the years. Well now I have time to sit down and start researching them. None of the guns are in amazing condition,

What I'm looking at has stamped on it "Sharps Rifle Company Patent April 6, 1869. On the barrel Calibre 44" 158*** is the number stamped on the topside of the rifle.
Any information would help, I don't have any information yet. Thanks for the help.

Here are some pictures i've taken of the gun:

Retired Bucktail

Post by Retired Bucktail »

According to Winston O. Smith's The Sharps Rifle, the patent date of 4-6-69 refers to patent #88645 received by Richard S. Lawrence at Hartford.

The description reads: "Applies to metallic cartridge firearm".

Your rifle appears to be a M1874. I can't see enough of the barrel to give more details, but it appears that the rear sight is missing.
singleshotman

Re:1874 Sharps

Post by singleshotman »

i have just finished read "Sharps firearms" by Sellers, i would say you have a VERY early model 1874, problably made in 1871 or 1872 by the serial number(the model number 1874 is a misnomber, they were made as early as 1871).It's 10-1 a 44-77 caliber, you can buy 43 spanish cases and fireform them if you want to shoot it. 43 spanish uses .439 bullets, 44-77 uses .446 bullets, otherwise the cases are the same. DO NOT use 348 winchester cases, even made by Buffalo Arms, the rims are too thin. All these old guns used folded head cases with rims about .090 thick. Bullets should be soft or use PP bullets. Never use hard bullets in an original gun, they will not upset to fill the grooves and skid down the barrel leaving lead all over your barrel.
Todd Birch

Original Sharps

Post by Todd Birch »

Moosegundr

Nice piece of history, definitely worth investing a few bucks in for some careful restoration and preservation.

Stay away from the wire brush, "let's reblue this thing all nice and shiny", crowd.

If you don't want it, there will be a line up to take it off your hands.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
TSafly

Post by TSafly »

has any buddy looked at the date of this post it is 18 monthes old before any replys and the auther hasnt posted since sept 28 2006
Todd Safly
Treegunner

Post by Treegunner »

That is an amazing rifle. The OP hasn't posted since Sept 06, I wish he would come back and let us in on some of its history.

On a dup post of this one, he stated this belonged to his great-great grandfather.

What a lucky man.

Jim
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Moose, Sounds like you have yourself a real find there. Take good care of your rifle and don't let anyone from New Jersey beat you out of it.