Help

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Mike Pifer

Help

Post by Mike Pifer »

Last night I took apart my 63 Shiloh to clean it as i have many times before. After cleaning it I went to put the breech block into the rifle and find that it will not go to the top of the opening due to what looks like there is a small part of a sliding chamber, such as found on a Pedersoli, sticking out just far enough to prevent the block from sliding to the top.

I have never seen this before, I though the Shilohs had a solid chamber. Can some one tell me what happing. All very strange to me.

Thanks,
Mike
D Cash

Post by D Cash »

Ruptured Cartridge Case? (Just kidding)
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Mike,

Is this a newer Shiloh? The reason I ask is maybe the first year or two of production, the gun might have a sliding chamber. I don't know. I can't think of anything that would cause this to happen in the Shiloh's I've owned and shot 20 years and older except a piece of lead left in the barrel.

Rich
Hayden Winn

Help

Post by Hayden Winn »

Mike,
I have a Farmingdale Percussion Military .54cal s/n 896 (1975) which does have a removable breech sleeve. I have had this rifle some three years and do not know its history. I've never seen a Shiloh with the same sleeve and assumed it to be a modification some previous owner has made. The sleeve can be completely removed from the rifle with the breechblock out.
I have two other Farmingdale percussion rifles which do not have the sleeve. They are s/n 618 (1973 Military) and 5566 (1982 Carbine)
Perhaps others can caste further light on this?
Hayden
Kilts

Post by Kilts »

I haven't seen a Shiloh with a sleeve so perhaps the gas plate isn't seated fully.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
1stregtengr

sliding chamber

Post by 1stregtengr »

could you have a rifle converted to an "O" ring? Will the chamber piece move in when you push on it? Those converted use a rubber O ring between chamber sections.

just a thought
Charlie Hahn

your chamber problem

Post by Charlie Hahn »

Mike,

If you haven't soved your problem, could you take a picture and post to me. I have an idea of what it might be, but want to see what you are seeing before guessing.

Regards,

Charlie Hahn
Charlie Hahn
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Mike, there is no sliding chamber, there is just a snug fit. If the block came out it has to go back in. Make sure the gas check is clean under the face as to not make the whole unit thicker.

Give me a call if you are still having problems.

Kirk
Retired Bucktail

Post by Retired Bucktail »

My NM1863 was bought in 1981 and it appears to have a chamber sleeve, as I noticed it protruding after many years of reenacting. I never attempted to remove it, however.

And that begs the question: if yours has a chamber sleeve, what would cause it to move between removing and installing the block?