Newbie question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
notakeres

Newbie question

Post by notakeres »

I recently ordered an 1863 military rifle in .50 cal and want to know where a good source for a bullet mold and sizer is. I checked Rapine and only found .54. Is pure lead best, or should I use an alloy?

I have been shooting ML for about 34 years, but have never shot one of these new fangeled breechloaders. My gut instinct is that they are a passing fad, but I thought I would give them a try anyway :roll:

BTW, why does the 1863 have its own support site?
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I shoot a 54 cal Shiloh using a Rapine bullet. I don't know who makes a 50 mold except for the custom makers. I would suggest a ringtail, Christmas tree style bullet if you have a mold made, probably in the 400 to 450 grain weight.

As for lead, my carbine likes a soft alloy. When you get your gun, just experiment, each gun is different but most people use an alloy bullet.

I guess the reason for the 1863 forum is that the other forums seem to be primarily for metal cartridge guns and the paper cartridge 1863 guns are somewhat unique.

Rich
notakeres

Post by notakeres »

Thanks for the response. What is the proper diameter for a .50 bullet for the Sharps?
snapcap14

mold

Post by snapcap14 »

Go to NEI's web sight they should have what you want. or can make it for you