bullets for '63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
loophole

bullets for '63

Post by loophole »

I bought an Armi Sport '63 sporter from Taylors a month ago and I've spent a lot of time trying to find bullets. Some other newbies may benefit from some of this:
Store bought bullets--I've tried round balls--Track of the wolf sells them cast .550" which are about the right size for the bore, but it's hard to load them with the sprue concentric with the bore, and so far I've gotten no better than 4-5" at 50 yds.
Hornaday makes a Great Plains ML bullet and TC sells a Maxiball ML bullet. These are too expensive, they are tapered larger Dia in the front than in the back--which is not ideal for breech seating. Track sells an unlubed Maxiball a bit cheaper than the TC, but by the time you pay shipping they cost more than the TC bought at a local store.
My experience breech seating these in front of a card wad and 85-90 gr of FFg they shoot 2-3" at 50 yds, with some unexplained flyers.
Finally, Buffalo Arms carries the proper Christmas tree bullet, apparently cast from a Rapine mold. By the time you pay shipping they cost almost a dollar each, but they are lubed with SPG and they fit the bore of my rifle perfectly--all but the last driving band in the bore, and the last band groove dia. Weather has kept me from getting to the range to test these.
Track also carries a Christmas tree bullet, but they have been out of stock.

Molds--Rapine makes two different molds: model nos USA 317-541 orig design and USA 317-541 modern design. these are available from Buffalo, and it looks as if the same molds are sold under the Pedersoli name by Pedersoli dealers.
Armi Sport makes a Two cavity mold, available from Taylors.
I found references to Lyman molds on the net, but none of them are currently listed on the Lyman website.
NEI lists about 7 different Sharps molds on its website; nos 540-475-SH, 540-490NS, and 540-490-OLD, to name a few.
If any of you have any comments on any of these molds please post them. I'm going to order a mold but I haven't yet decided which one.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Slug the barrrel and send the slug to Steve Brooks 406-782-5114 and he will make you a mold and then everything will be beautiful. If you are not sure on slugging, call him and he will tell you what to do, he's a good guy.

Thanks Kirk
loophole

Post by loophole »

Thanks--just got off the phone with Steve. He's very helpful.
By the way, its mighty hospitable of y'all to encourage discussion of guns made by other companies.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.