Farmingdale '63 SRC loading info needed

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
mathewmo

Farmingdale '63 SRC loading info needed

Post by mathewmo »

Gentlemen: Yesterday, during a lengthy swapping session, I acquired a NICE 63 SRC, Farmingdale rifle. It is in 45 caliber. What bullet would You more knowledgable shooters recommend for this rifle. Also, what would be a good powder charge for general plinking and white tail deer hunting. Also, this rifle has the "wolf head" on side of barrel. I have heard that rifles with this marking were worked on by Wolfgang personally. Is this legit, or just an old wives tale? Any info appreciated.

PS: this is my first Shiloh 63, althou I have several of the 74s. Thanks Guys
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I've only shot Shiloh '63s in 54 caliber with a ringtail bullet but some people use a plain base bullet and just slide it into the barrel, using a short starter to position it, and then fill the breech with powder. Or, you could glue a paper tube around the back of the plain base bullet and then fill the paper cartridge with FFG or FFFG and glue an end cap in place.

To determine the length of the cartridge, seat the bullet into the chamber and then just measure to the end of the breech. Make your cartridges that length or 1/16" shorter. I find that my guns shoot best with a cartridge the length of the chamber and then filled with FFG powder (50 grains for my carbine) but some folks like FFFG powder.

As for a bullet, you might start with a lighter 45/70 bullet, say 400 grains, and go from there. My 54 cal. ringtail bullet weighs 490 grains.

Good luck,

Rich