Questions from IAB 1863 Shooter-new guy

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Bob C

Questions from IAB 1863 Shooter-new guy

Post by Bob C »

I just bourght a IAB 1863 Sharps Sportmans with a 28 inch barrel. It appears to be in good shap. Trying to figure out a load for it and was wondering if any one ever used 777 in there's. I have made up and not used a 60 grn 777 paper cartrige that fits in the chamberbehind a HHornady Great Plains 54 Caliber .425 Gr HB-HP. I know the 777 is 15 percent stronger than Pydrex or BP per volumne.

Went down to my local sporting good store and they don't seem to have any percussion caps for the rifle. Theres are all to small. Even there large rifle caps are too small, Any suggestions. I have been shooting Cap and Ball pistols for a few years now so I am somewhat familar with the sport. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi, I know nothing about these but I think you can get Dixies musket caps to get her lit, and if I were you, I would start with straight black before you start hopping it up with triple 7. This is what I would do to make sure it's fine and not burn your eye brows.
Kirk,
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

With that long and tortuous flah channel, you might have some problems igniting triple 7 - it also has, volume for volume, more power than BP - especially in the higher loadings. And indeed, you'll probably need musket caps...
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Thanks, that sounds like really good advise about the 777. I will use my pyrex instead. I will also try Dixie for the caps
1stregtengr

loads for 1863

Post by 1stregtengr »

Bob,
Here is what I use in my Shiloh 54 cal 1863 3 band. A raphine ringtail about 465 gr, 64 gr swiss 3f, a charlie hahn cardboard tube sealed one end with the bullet, the other eng with glued lens cleaning paper. At 200 yds I get 2-2.5 inch groups from a bench rest with open sights, offhand, well thats another issue. Why use anything else but BP? I would love to shoot this Shiloh with a scope!
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I have a hard time actually finding BP in California. So I use what I can get. I finally found a store that could order me some caps for the rifle so I have ordered 500 #10 rifle caps. I hope it is the right cap. I am not going to use the 777 in this and only if I know how it is going to handle it. I normally use Pydrex (sp) in FFG for rifle shooting. I appreciate everyone warning me about the 777. Anyhow I will get to shoot it soon, hopefully this week end. I was able to take the rifle apart and give it a proper cleaning before I shoot it. Thanks for your response.
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Bob C

I use "top hat style" musket caps for my M1863 Sporting Rifle. I'm fairly certain that is what your rifle requires as well.
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

OLDReliable

Thanks, I will check that out. The top hats sound right but I really don't know yet. I am hoping to have them by tomorrow and I will find out at that time. If not I will get him to order the top hat primers. Thankyou for the advise.
1stregtengr

caps , powder etc

Post by 1stregtengr »

Backcreek among others should have everything you need. The haz mat charge and shipping will be expensive. just for an idea, german Musket caps cost about 35.00 per 1000 here in VA over the counter at Backcreek, CCIs I believe are about 40.00. Check them out http://www.blackpowderva.com/
PawPah

Post by PawPah »

I guess you found out that rifle caps don't work. Musket caps are what works.Dixie and Track both sell through mail order.
.54 caliber and black.............HOLY SMOKE!
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

Where in Ca. are you? :shock:
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Finally I received the correct caps. I went to Dixie and ordered them over the internet, no hazemat fee which surpised me. I ordered five hundred but should last for a while. At $12.00 a 100 they are expensive but are very well made. Haven't actually used them yet, will do that this week end. Thanks everyone for your help.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Turlock, Ca
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Well I finally got a chance to use those to hat caps, German. I was really suprised with the results. Only got it to fire once and that was with me putting the bullet in then pouring black powder in. I am using FFG. It went boom, but sounded like it was a slow burn. Anyhow the first bullet was made of cigarette paper. Looking at the back of the bullet it appeared that the flash was dispursed over the entire shell rather than going in pin pointed. I then cut the end off and tried again, still didn't go off. I took that shell out and tried one were I put the bullet in then put a paper cartige in. As I closed the breech block it cut the end of the paper cartigre off but that still didn't go off.

I went home, soaked the breach block in WD-40, cleaned it up, then tried again with a piece of cigarete paper stuffed down the barrel. I then fired off a cap and it burned a hole through the paper. The previous owner had not cleaned it out very well. I hope this will make it better.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

:D Well I finally got a chance to go out and shoot again and I tried a new nipple for the Sharps and it didn't work so well. I did get it to go bang asfter using a couple of caps. The good news is the old nipple I had drilled out the holea little and it went bang almost every time. What a fun rifle to shoot. Now I have to work on were it is hitting. Need to cut some paper targets. I am now using some Minis that from a Lee Mold.