Black Powder Substitutes

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
subgunner

Black Powder Substitutes

Post by subgunner »

I have a 1859 Pedersoli. Does anyone use black powder substitutes in this rifle, American Pioneer, Pinnacle, Triple 7 or Pyrodex besides Black Powder ? I will be using a Rapine 544475. Any loading data?
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Sorry, with that bullet, I just use 50 grains FFG GOEX in a paper cartridge.

Rich
subgunner

Post by subgunner »

Thanks, for the reply. My 1859 sharps is a percussion breach loader. I was going to use a bp priming charge in a paper cartridge with APP or triple 7. I do have a small amount of 3f bp, but I can't find any black powder locally. So that why I want to use black powder sub's.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Hey Subgunner, I too am new too Sharps, I have the post below this one, everyone told me to stay away from 777 because of the 15% extra power. I use Prydrex in all of my pistols and have no problems with it. I shot FFFG equilent
subgunner

Post by subgunner »

I have used 777 in my cap and ball pistols with no trouble. I just down load it. A good conversion chart for sub's is at this URL http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm
I use this chart for 777 or APP and a wonder wad and then a ball. Works
very well and with no smell and lots of smoke. I am thinking of using a paper cartridge with a bp kicker and then the bp sub. With a fiber disk and cow and bullet. Hope to keep fouling down. Just didn't want to reinvent the wheel here, if someone has did this before me. Oh well life goes on !!