1863 Rifle

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Jim Mulligan

1863 Rifle

Post by Jim Mulligan »

Last month I had the opportunity to compete in the single shot rifle match at the N-SSA fall national. Two of my team mates and I purchased 1863 rifles last year (consecutive serial numbers) for this match.
What a great time we had!
The quality and accuracy of the Shiloh 1863 is absolutely amazing. We are using the cardboard tubes sold by Charlie Hahn with a Brooks christmas tree bullet and getting great results. We did not win the match (got to catch those darn Ballards) but we held our own for a first time national match. Next year we win.
I recommend the 1863 rifle (and carbine).
Jim Mulligan
1stregtengr

63 shiloh sharps

Post by 1stregtengr »

I agree with Jim, the quality of the Shiloh stands way above the competition. I shot the same match Jim shot in with another team, used Charlie's tubes with Swiss 3F and never once cleaned the rifle action in the competition, wiped the bore a time or two, the action opened and closed as easy the last shot as the first, and hit a target about 90+% of shots. Way to go Shiloh! my team didn't win but came close.
As to the Ballard CF conversion, the only advantage they have is they don't have to cap them making them a bit faster, BUT I didn't see any of them on the 200yd LR shoot
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Jim,

How do you like the cardboard tubes? How do you get them out after you fire the gun?

Also, is the Brooks bullet a ringtail or flat bottomed bullet. I thought you didn't have good luck with the flat bottomed bullet.

Rich