45-2.4 Brass length

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

parvenu

45-2.4 Brass length

Post by parvenu »

Hi All,
I have a 45-2.4 on order with Shiloh and am currious if I can get my brass ready now or if I am better off waiting for the rifle to get in my hands. Most interested in case length and what other opperations can be preformed while I wait. Thanks for you help.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Parvenu

I also have a .45 X 2.4 in the works at Shiloh. I have loaded up a couple of boxes just to have something to try out. I see no reason not to load a few cartridges to have ready. Just keep good records on what you have loaded so if they shoot well, you can duplicate or if they don't shoot well, you will know where to start to improve.
Lee Stone
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

W/O the rifle in front of you, how did you determine the bullet dia. & overall cartridge length as well as the length of the case?
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

parvenu, the Starline cases work great, I would advise you to full length size all cases before loading though. Shiloh chambers are at the tighter end of the SAAMI specs than some of the others such as Pedersoli, and if not full length sized first, they won't fit. Voice of experience!! Randy
Randy Ruwe
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

when one is waiting for your shiloh it is akin to a woman when she nests for her new baby, you must have the components on hand (you just have to,and they are faster to get) and all them components are just sitting there begging to be assembled and you just don't know when the call may come so you just gotta load em up and have them ready. besides if it is a new cal. you need to work all the kinks out so that your rifle will be happy in its new home and know that you care for it .one must feed the new commer to the home the day it arrives or it will not shoot good for you this I know
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Parvenu, Don't waste time loading anything until you get the rifle, believe me. Kirk Bryan
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Given Kirk's post; it appears I'm missing something here.

Are the rifles that different even in the same caliber ?? For example, isn't the chamber the same on all 45-110 models ??

Why would there be more variation with a Shiloh Sharps than a modern Remington or other rifle ??

thanks,

Hal
deerhuntsheatmeup

cause he said so...

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Kirk said so, that's why! Any way my experience is this. I just took delivery of a Shiloh last week and I had 50 bullets that had been loaded for several months in the box out in my shop. I got my first day of shooting in yesterday and used these 50 rds to wear in the barrel a bit. They shot OK but the fouling was heavier than usual, I guess due to being loaded all summer and sitting in my shop in the box. I tubed after every shot and cleaned after every 5 shots. With freshly loaded ammo I can shoot a 72 rd mid-range match with blow tubing only. Also, I made a dummy bullet after my rifle got here and I set the bullet .005 off the lands and it worked well in my rifle. This tolerance cannot be measured before you get your rifle in your hands. What I would do is get a buddie with a gun the same caliber as yours and load some rounds up and go shoot them up. This will be good practice for you and you get to scratch the itch to shoot BP. My 2 cents, David Barfield
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Canoe, There is nothing different on our guns than anyone elses. The problem, is none of these calibers except 45-70 are SAMMI spec'ed, as much as some people would like to think they are, in reality their not. Dave Kiff of Pacific Grinding and I have been trying for years to get these old cal. Sammied, it don't look like it is ever going to happen. Now if there is no spec. how are all of these guys making dies , molds ,brass, and reamers??? What happens is there is a lot of variation. If you have all of the right components you may get the gun loaded. If one thing is wrong you have just wasted a lot of your time.
If it is high power or black powder, a good safe hand loader will always have the gun he is loading for by his side. Hope this helps, Thanks Kirk
parvenu

Post by parvenu »

Thanks for the replies. I learn something new every time I visit this forum.