16 pound 50-90 vs Mule Deer

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marathonman

16 pound 50-90 vs Mule Deer

Post by Marathonman »

Pulled off a double lunger on a spike mule deer this morning with my big fifty Sharps. Funny I don't shoot it more as this rifle has made one shot kills on two consecutive shots...Elk in December and Deer in October. The little guy was pretty tough though and went a good 40 yards before piling up. The Elk last winter looked like she was struck by lightning.

I took a picture or two and will have them developed on a CD so that they can be sent electronically.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Marathonman, nice going!! This year is the first I have hunted with BP and heavy cast bullets. A few things I really like is the absence of high vel. shock blood shot meat, and the complete penetration you get! I will be doing more hunting with these loads in the future. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Yep, like the late great Elmer Keith said: "you can eat right up to the hole!"
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
pete

Post by pete »

Good job Marathonman. Hunting with these types of rifles has definately rejuvinated my interest in hunting. I think though if you keep hunting with that rifle you're going to have to change your name to Weight lifter Man or Long arm Man. Just joking. :D
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Way to go Marathonman!! Did you go for elk yet?? My tag is for Nov 8 thru the 12th. I hope you get that elk also, are you going to the same place?? I'm hunting area 501 up by Tarryall Res. Good luck, and good hunting. Maybe next year I'll have that 50-70 to use for a hunter.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Actually, my cow elk tag is for January. Hope to go to the same place as last December as I know area 3 well. Good luck Ken in November!

One of my friends at work calls me RunningDog...I kinda like LongArmMan...ketchy ain't it! :lol:

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Taos

Post by Taos »

I'll be trying to get another cow next month in unit 22 with the 40-90. Good luck to you guys and let's pray for a little SNOW!!
Doug Beentt

50/90 sharps

Post by Doug Beentt »

As I am looking into getting another Shiloh, can you tell me about recoil with your Big Fifty? I want a hunting rifle, but like to shoot alot to stay sharp with my hunting.
Doug
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I have made two one shot kills with consecutive shots with mine...one deer and one elk. Recoil....HA...I did't even hear the gun go off!

However, load development shots are very noticeable after 4 or 5 shots even with a 16 pound gun and a military buttplate. I would recommend the big fifty any day for hunting as my elk dropped quicker than any I have seen.

You should consider geting at least a 14 pound rifle with a shotgun buttplate. Another reason is accuracy...50-90's with light barrels will start down the recoil path prior to the bullet exiting the barrel and is much to blame for accuracy problems.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874