what do ya think?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

archdlx

what do ya think?

Post by archdlx »

Hey folks!

Good news about Sodamn Insane, Eh!?

Anyway, I know you guys have answered this sort of question a million times before, but it's kinda quiet around here today, so here we go.
This is going to be my main hunting rifle, some silhouette if I can find a club around, and just general foolin' around.
#1 Sporter
extra fancy wood
pewter tip
steel buttplate (french gray if possible)
french grey rec'r
sling swivels
full heavy octagon
semi-buckhorn
Ron H.s' front (and probably mid tang)
Now for calibre: No offence Kenny, but I'm gonna start with a 45-2.6. I think it was on here I read that "it's easier to ream than it is to fill" or something to that effect!

Any comments additions, deletions, are encouraged and welcomed! Thanks for your time, LeRoy.

P.S. We are going to make a trip to Big Timber either the weekend of the 9th or the 23rd of Jan. to have a look around and to place my order.
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

That should have been 45-2.4, not 2.6. LeRoy
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Dear Archdlx

I am VERY happy with my .45 X 2.6 from Shiloh and have been trying to figure out how to use the same rifle for silhouette and for long range. At 13 pounds it is fine for long range but 14 ounces heavy for silhouette. I have thought about having holes drilled in the butt, wherein I could insert lead to carry it up to 15 pounds for long range, and remove the lead and go down to 12 pounds two ounces for silhouette. I have also thought about just buying another Shiloh, but I am also reminded of the old saying: "Fear the man with just one rifle!" Has anyone ever done this "drill hole/insert lead" thing in order to change weight in their rifle?
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

Buffalocannon,

Thank-you for your reply. Can you load "down" for plinking? Or should a person find a single load and stick with that? What bullets do you use? My father-in-law left me his fishing jig moulds that included a small Lee melting pot. Do you think that that would be good for a start. I know many of you use waage pots, but that's a year or two down the road for me. Are the lyman and lee moulds any good? They are the easiest to aquire up here.
Thanks, LeRoy.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

if you get the french grey reciever make a special effort to get really really dark wood it really does it with the contrast . my wood is a very deep red/black and it does look pleasing to the eye.
as for the other buy what you can afford and still shoot and save up for the good stuff
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
deerhuntsheatmeup

2 4/10 or 2 6/10...

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Buy the long range sights in these calibres. If you buy the mid-range sight and end up at match that finishes with a buffalo gong shoot, you won't have enough elevation to shoot 1000 yards but you will have plenty of gun. Bought experience speaking here. Later, David Barfield
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Buffalocannon,

You would much better off buying another Shiloh that makes weight for silhouette. Drilling you stock and leaving the holes empty to lighten the rifle would put your stock at risk due to the loss of interior support. You would do well to ask Kirk about this. I know he has in the past advised against having an unfilled hole drilled in the stock of a rifle so that a recoil compensator could be inserted if found to be needed. The reason he gave was that the unsupported hole in the stock would put the stock at risk.
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I just shot using my Ron Heilman rear standard long range tang at a "buff" at 750 meters (847 yards I think) and the setting was on 147 minutes of elevation. The bullet strike was 2" low and perfectly centered on the first shot!! Just make sure you get plenty of sight if you want to shoot long range (1000 yards).
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

Thanks for info guys!

Ken, how long is you tang sight. Does it have enough to shoot 1000? Dumb question-guess it depends on the load your shootin' eh? Can't seem to find many loads on the 2.4 and 2.6. But if the waiting list is over a year, guess I got lotsa time to find them. Will be pickin lots of brains at Kennys' in May though! Maybe I'll have to bring a vid cam to tape all my "interviews" :lol:
Thanks again, LeRoy.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ron's standard tang goes to 225 I think, I will look when I get back to the park. I think it will shoot you out to 1000 pretty easy, I was using a 540 grain Paul Jones Creedmoore. Lee Stone loaned me enough of them for a silhouette match in Columbus, TX, thanks again Lee. And thanks to the guys at the match in Columbus, especially to Croft Barker who was my Mentor and spotter!! I learned a lot from Croft this weekend and naturally bought another of his books!! ha ha. This one is on the RB .43 spanish, a very interesting book.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter